In Red Bull Rampage, are you restricted to only one set line down the mountain?

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum In Red Bull Rampage, are you restricted to only one set line down the mountain?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Basically, my question is what the title says: does anyone know, in Red Bull Rampage, if you’re restricted  to only take one set line down the mountain? Based on my understanding, I thought the entire mountain was free game, but this video that we just posted to the blog is really confusing me:

What I don’t understand is, can someone technically ban someone else from “their line”? I thought the entire mountain was open to anyone?

Seems more like some riders are giving deference to big-name riders who are defending their lines, just because they don’t want to piss them off and make an “enemy.” Oh the drama…

If you ask me, it isn’t freeriding if you’re not free to ride where you want. I get that it’s a competition but the whole idea with freeride is that you can be creative.

You can ride wherever you want, but it’s frowned upon to poach someone else’s line. Those crews are putting in a ton of work to get lines built for their rider, so I can see that side of it. Personally, I wish there was less building allowed. It probably wouldn’t be as exciting to watch though and the riders wouldn’t be able to go as big on natural terrain.

Thanks for the insights, Aaron!

I’m with Jeff: doesn’t seem like there’s very much “free” in this “freeriding.”

doesn’t seem like there’s very much “free” in this “freeriding.”

It’s Red Bull.  It’s the WWE of extreme sports. Once you take that into account, you can just enjoy it for what it is.

WWE of extreme sports, hmm? I’ve heard Rampage referred to as the “superbowl of  mountain biking,” but with all of the Red Bull-sponsored riders competing in an event also sponsored by Red  Bull and officiated by people hired by Red Bull, you may be much closer with the WWE analogy.  😉

I think so.  It’s been a while, so I’m short on collaborative documentation, but I read some articles about the skating portion of an earlier X Game in which Tony Hawk flubbed his runs and a competitor tore the place up but Tony Hawk won.  Later on, one of the guys interviewed during another skating documentary explained that Hawk was going to win that one, regardless of the outcome as there was some big advertising tied with him that would benefit from it.

Like I said, it’s been years and I no longer know where I read and watched it but like you said, it’s Red Bull atheletes competing with other Red Bull atheletes at a Red Bull competition, being judged by Red Bull judges with a sound track overdub from the Red Bull music label in which each person involved will have to at least once take a drink from  a Red Bull can (label facing outward, please).

Red Bull does sponsor a lot of the traditional dh riders.  It would be hard to cheat there, since the race is against the clock, not style points.  I bet being sponsored by them is like working for a huge corporation though…  But, I do appreciate that Red Bull helps keep mountain biking in the media.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.