Im new.

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys just wanted to say that I’m new to the sport and your site. The site is awsome. Great info. I don’t have a good bike by any means. Especially looking at what’s out there on the market. I bought a no name 26" MTB. It’s a rigid set-up. I really bought it to try and get in shape to be able to do some trails and not kill myself. Lol. But I’m 6’4" 280lbs. So I have some weight to lose. Also a smoker so I’m tryin to ride to help quit smoking. I live in the pocono area of PA. But just wanted to say what’s up.

Hey steamer1227,glad to meet ya.If you feel alright on that no name then ride it.A cheap bike dont neccessarily mean that it wont work for ya if it has to,but if it has really bad geometry and is uncomfortable then that sucks and is not good for riding.If you want to loose some weight and quit smoking,then stick with it,mtn biking is really cool but can be hard at first,keep going and when you start riding stuff you thought you couldnt,then it’ll blow your mind how cool it is.

Thanx. The bike does feel pretty good for me. I used to ride BMx back in the day so I’m not new to riding in general at least. Lol. But I’m so excited bought riding again. My wife thinks I’m crazy cuz it’s been all I can talk about lately. Haha o well. Lol. But I’ve been just absorbing so much info from the site about MTB. I love the feeling that I get from just road riding now to get in shape that I can’t wait to get on a trail when I build up some more stamina. The one question that I did have is it worth me upgrading the shifters, derailleurs, and tires on this bike? I’m not planning on dumping a whole lot of money into this bike. I do plan on(when I get mote into the sport) getting a better bike. But I have freakin sundance parts on it now which seem to be very cheap.

Oh by the way it’s a 3×5 setup right now. Is it possible to add some more cogs in the rear too?

Hey man, welcome to the woods! Mountain biking is AMAZING – hope you get the fire in you we all have. Dodging trees is such fun. 😀

Regarding upgrading your parts, you mentioned you’ve got a no-name sled (aka bike). The world of bikes is full of used ones, especially on Craigslist.org or your local bike chapter’s website. For the price of new parts on your bike (shifters, brakes, etc), you could probably get a used hard tail (being that it has a front shock) for a similar price.

I’d say meet up with some of the local riders and maybe go from there with upgrading? I know you’re just getting back into it, but if you’re going to spend $100 on new gear for the bike, you could always spend $200 on a new bike altogether, most likely with better (albeit used) components.

That being said, I’m in Massachusetts and there are a LOT of used bikes!

Thanx. I wish I would have done some research first but the buy was kinda a impulse buy. I bought me and my wife bikes that nite. I would like to get another one for trails only when I get more experience. I don’t want to spend a whole lot of money on the upgrades to this sled but I would like some improvements. Basically my plans are to make this bike trail ready but when I purchase the better trail sled I will turn this one into a commuter road runner. But I would like to know before I buy any shifters or derailluers if I can add some more cogs in the rear since it’s only a 3×5 set up now.

"steamer1227" wrote

But I would like to know before I buy any shifters or derailluers if I can add some more cogs in the rear since it’s only a 3×5 set up now.

A 9 speed cassette won’t fit on the hub of your current 5 speed wheel. In order to go from 5 speed to 8/9 speed you would need a new wheel, rear derailleur, cassette, and shifter. It’s not worth it.

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="steamer1227":186mic1u]But I would like to know before I buy any shifters or derailluers if I can add some more cogs in the rear since it’s only a 3×5 set up now.

A 9 speed cassette won’t fit on the hub of your current 5 speed wheel. In order to go from 5 speed to 8/9 speed you would need a new wheel, rear derailleur, cassette, and shifter. It’s not worth it.[/quote:186mic1u]
      +1

Great to know. Yeah I won’t be doing all that to this bike. I’ll just upgrade this bike a little and then make it my commuter after I save up for a good MTB. Thanks guys.

That’s exactly what I did.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.