I need suggection about the Chain selection for my MTB

Mountain bike trails & Mountain bike reviews Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum I need suggection about the Chain selection for my MTB

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

I got a used Cannondale F400 with 8 speed rear shifter. The guy told me the chain needs to be changed. I searched online and found there are so many specs for chains, like 114/ 116links, 1/2" or 1/8" and 3/32", powerlink etc. I wonder if anyone could give me some suggestion to pick a durable and good performance no too expensive chain.

Also I want to change it myself, all I need is a chain tool right? Do I need to buy a powerlink separately?

Thanks!

Jingye

Get your hands on a sram 851 chain it works well and all you need is a chain tool..Just follow the instructions that come with it.

I only found SRAM PC-870 SRAM PC-830. Will they work?

[url:ansqfcx3]http://www.sram.com/en/srammountain/chains/8speed/index.php[/url:ansqfcx3]

Here is a link to the 8 speed chains on the sram website to check out.Have you been to your LBS(local bike shop)?If you need a chain right now,I would go to the LBS to get one instead of ordering it so you dont have to wait,they can help you as well if you have never changed out bike parts before if you run into trouble,of course everyone here on singletracks just loves to help out a fellow mtn biker as much as we can. 😃 Let us know how your doing.

Sorry I ment to say the 850…They do how ever run a series of chains 890,870,850,830…

I may be wrong but I thought that you typically have to replace the cassette also when you repace the chain (due to wear).

I may be wrong but I thought that you typically have to replace the cassette also when you repace the chain (due to wear).

No,the chain can be replaced without replacing the cassette as long as the cassette is not worn enough to warrent replacing,although if you replace the cassette then you have to replace with a brand new chain.Good point though,gingyel should check to see if the cassette is worn enough to warrent the replacement of it to avoid abnormal wear patterns of each.

Okay, have to get new chain with new cassette, knew it was something like that 😛

Should check the rings as well for wear,and if they are worn along with the cassette,then all new parts for the drive train.
      It can get a little expensive at times,I am getting real close to needing new rings but have a fairly new cassette and chain,and I just recently bought a bearing package to replace all the bearings in my full suspension bike,not to mention it’s time for fork and shock new seals and fluid.Oh man,that reminds me I’m not too far away from needing brake rotors as well.

"Jingyel" wrote

I only found SRAM PC-870 SRAM PC-830. Will they work?

All new Sram chains come with a powerlink, and it’s not a bad idea to buy a spare powerlink to carry on the trail.

I run a PC-870 on my commuter bike and it has given me no issues.

When you install it to the bike, break the old one and remove it, and stretch it out straight, then stretch the new one next to it. This will allow you to determine how many links to cut off the new one.

Then install the new one with the power link and you’re done.

I use the chain break in my multitool for this.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for the help.

I ordered a PC-870 + chain tool from Amazon.com for $28 w/ free shipping. There are wearing marks on the old cassette, but it should be fine. I will try the new chain with the old cassette first.

Your welcom jingyel,let us know if you need anything when installing it.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.