I need a lower "Granny Gear"…

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I ride a 2011 Redline D440 rigid 29’er, which I love and enjoy. The only complaint I have, though, is that the bike is set up with 2 chainrings (28/38), and an 8-cog (11-32).
      I’d really like to get at least 1 more light gear for climbing, and am debating whether to:
      — Change my 28t chainring to a 24t
      or
      — Ditching the 11t cog on my cassette and adding one of these 36t cogs [url:zxe5r76d]http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Tooth-Cog-for-Mountain-Bike-Cassette-36t-Sprocket-/260936517924?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc1074924[/url:zxe5r76d]
      What do you think is going to give me more of a lower torque climbing advantage, and avoid any potential derailleur problems (I have SRAM x5 short cage, btw)?
      Any and all opinions are welcomed. Thanks…

I’d go with a larger gear @ the cassette in the rear. The only major limit is the length of the rear derailleur. Check with your LBS about this. Keeping the front sprockets the same will keep the overall ratios more useable. Try a 11-34 or 11-36 casssette for better balance. 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

I’d go with a larger gear @ the cassette in the rear. The only major limit is the length of the rear derailleur. Check with your LBS about this. Keeping the front sprockets the same will keep the overall ratios more useable. Try a 11-34 or 11-36 casssette for better balance. 😄 Later,

+1

What he said

"tetontom" wrote

What do you think is going to give me more of a lower torque climbing advantage, and avoid any potential derailleur problems (I have SRAM x5 short cage, btw)?
      Any and all opinions are welcomed. Thanks…

IDK about "torque advantage," but it will allow you to gear down and spin more.

As for the "short cage," I don’t think they sell SRAM X5 in short cage, and I couldn’t even find one in mid cage when I was looking for one this summer. I have a long cage 10 speed x5 on one of my bikes right now.

Short cage derailleurs generally only come on bikes with a single chain ring up front, ex. dh bikes. (The cage is so short on me that it looks like the jockey wheels are right on top of eachother).

Most 2×10 configurations run mid-cage derailleurs. But you CAN definitely run a long-cage derailleur on anything. I’ve got a long-cage on one of my 2×10 setups right now (the x5 mentioned above) and I think I might have a long cage on my DH bike.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, I had the feeling it would be better not to change chainrings. Also wondering if too big a difference in chainrings could make it harder to shift back up into the larger one?

And @mtbgreg1, I may be mistaken about my SRAM x5. I think I just assumed it was "short cage" because it looks so much shorter than any rear derailleur I’ve had before. I love it btw; it feels so positive when it clanks out a gear change!

Again, thanks you guys for advice…
      Tom

Let us know how the change goes!

Just checked on the x5, it is available in long and medium cage:

http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/produ … erm-id/446

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.