I need a crank and cassette!

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

All last fall I kept telling myself I’d get a new crank and cassette eventually. My old square taper crank is rounded out and my cassette is all shark-toothed.

I’m looking at these. What do you guys think? Is there a better deal out there that I can put together for ~$300 ?

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ … sette.aspx

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ … +2010.aspx

Oh ya, if it matters, I’m riding a 2001 Sugar 2.

I have the RaceFace Evolve XC crankset and I love it. The Deus is the next step up.

Are you sure your bike takes a 10-spd cassette?

"maddslacker" wrote

I have the RaceFace Evolve XC crankset and I love it. The Deus is the next step up.

Are you sure your bike takes a 10-spd cassette?

It has a 10spd cassette on it now…

It’s not the stock wheel set.

Cool, just checking.

I think that looks like a decent setup for the money.

Hi Inavacuum

What bike are you running now?

Just a warning light on here when you said your old crank has a tapered square BB…Ummm that technology has been around a very long time and somehow I think that you may have counted wrong…

Now the parts that you selected are fine and a good price and promise to last a long while.

MTB 10spds have only been around for 2years now so double check….Somewhere on the shifter it will also tell you how many speeds are there….

Presently I believe Shimano XTR,XT,SLX have 10spds and SRAM XX,XO,X9,X7 are 10spd as well…All of which will be clearly marked as such…

"element22" wrote

Hi Inavacuum

What bike are you running now?

I just a warning light on here when you said your old crank has a tapered square BB…Ummm that technology has been around a very long time and somehow I think that you may have counted wrong…

Now the parts that you selected are fine and a good price and promise to last a long while.

MTB 10spds have only been around for 2years now so double check….Somewhere on the shifter it will also tell you how many speeds are there….

Presently I believe Shimano XTR,XT,SLX have 10spds and SRAM XX,XO,X9,X7 are 10spd as well…All of which will be clearly marked as such…

I am absolutely positive the bike has a 10spd cassette. The bike is not factory at all. Its a 2001 Sugar 2 built up with a bunch of extra parts. This bike sees a lot of singletrack, many parts have been replaced over the years. Like I said, nothing on it is factory, with the exception of the Cane Creek rear shock.

What rear derailleur and shifter pod are you using?

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.