I love tire shopping

Forums Mountain Bike Forum I love tire shopping

Tagged: ,

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

man idk if anyone else is the same but im always tyring out new tires to see what theyre like and im always looking at treads being like ow i wonder how those are they look great for this application idk i love new tires lol anyone the same?

better yet whats your favorite tire set up? and what terrain do they fit best?

I have used many but for a front tire i have 3 favorites.

1 Eskar Sworks this tire sticks on various terrain.. Its a 2.3 so has high volume and the shape allows you to lean the bike all the way without feeling squirmy.
      2. Captain control..Great tire for XC bike..Works well in various terrain.

3. Michelin XCR AT that tire was great now its wider as well up to 2.35 so good for all mountain / trail.

I’m kind of boring I guess…I tried Velociraptors, I liked them, I keep using them…LOL

Nothing wrong with that…If something works well for you then stick with it…

Yeah, my thoughts exactly!

Oh man,new tires,somtimes I gotta put on the mustache disguise to keep going back into the LBS’s to look at tires some more,hahahahaaha.I just start drooling at the sight and smell of new rubber. 😮 hahahahaha.
      I dont think there is anything that makes me feel more refreshed and in the game than new tires on my mountain bike.That’s one thing I like about the soft sticky tires is the fact that they give you great traction and they wear faster so you can just replace em’ with more fresh rubber instead of having to wait for the tire to wear out. 😏
      Right now I’m runnin the Kenda Nevagal in the back and the WTB moto raptor up front.I started last season with both front and back motoraptors and wore out the back motoraptor and replaced it with the Nevagal,so far I like em but I have some more tire combonations I want to try,I got about 2 or 3 new sets of velociraptors and the bontrager stuff I want to try.Bring on tire testing,hahahahaha.

yeah dude thats what im saying kenda is just a damn good brand

yeah dude thats what im saying kenda is just a damn good brand

Yeah dude,I’m really impressed with there tire line up,I want to get some really kick ass street tires so I can ride to work like a pro.Like the K-rads 2.30 or the 2.50.Then the road bike dudes wont pass me like I’m standin still as nearly as much as when I’m trying to commute with the trail tires still on.hahahahaha.

I was all set to pick up a set of Velociraptors when I found a good price on WTB Weirwolfs. Grabbed them at the last second based mostly on the gnarly looking tread, but the reviews didn’t hurt. 😀

Very glad I did. These things grip like they have claws. With some of the slow-speed steep descents I do, I *was* used to having to dismount when the traction got iffy. No more(or rarely.) 😀 I’ve yet to have the bike slide out from under me since I put them on, and my riding has improved drastically because of the added confidence.

That’s awesome! The Velociraptors behave the same way that you describe…and I’m glad to here it about the Weirwolf as well since I have considered getting those when these wear out.

Like the Raptor Rear, the Weirwolfs are reversible on the back. (There is no front-specific tire with the wolfs tho.) I do recommend reversing the back if conditions are dry enough to allow it.

I have ripped two Nevangals in the last few rides. Both rear tires, one on my SS and one on my Cake. I am going back to my Small Block 8’s

I have ripped two Nevangals in the last few rides. Both rear tires, one on my SS and one on my Cake. I am going back to my Small Block 8’s

Did you rip em on the sidewall??I just picked up a Kenda Nevegal and have only rode it a few times really since I mounted it.

I do have the DTC Nevegals and I ripped one on the sidewall and the other ripped one of the nobbies half off the tire. I patched both rips and have been riding (still waiting for my tire order). I ripped both of the Nevegals on my regular trails, so they weren’t subjected to any harsher conditions than any of the other tires that I have ridden.

What’s up with the DTC Nevegals?

Thanks for your input. I am going to try tubeless, so maybe I will give the Nevegal tubeless a shot.

Have you ever ridden on a set of Big Earl’s?

Wha about the DTC tubeless Nevegals?? I just won a pair through the video contest and they are going on tomorrow so I can ride them this weekend…

My favorite tire combo right now is a WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4 on the back and a Specialized Enduro 2.3 up front. The Mutano Raptor is under 600 grams and has low rolling resistance. The Mutano Raptor isn’t the grippiest tire but it rolls nice. The Specialized Enduro grips really well and the Specialized tires run big for their size giving extra cushion up front with all that volume. I like a grippy tire on the front and a lighter smooth rolling tire on the back.

"cujo" wrote

My favorite tire combo right now is a WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4 on the back and a Specialized Enduro 2.3 up front. The Mutano Raptor is under 600 grams and has low rolling resistance. The Mutano Raptor isn’t the grippiest tire but it rolls nice. The Specialized Enduro grips really well and the Specialized tires run big for their size giving extra cushion up front with all that volume. I like a grippy tire on the front and a lighter smooth rolling tire on the back.

😮 It’s always interesting to me to hear which tires people like given the conditions they ride. I have a set of the Mutano Raptor 2.4s and ended up taking them off the FS bike because they don’t like to hook up on roots with any kind of moisture and aren’t the best on loose trails. On dry hardpack they were fantastic but a lot of the places I ride don’t have that type of trail.

I’ve heard that the center tread pattern is the reason they don’t hook up well on roots and things that require good center traction. Apparently there are some thoughts out there as to ways that you can mod them but I’m not really into making a tire fit terrain it wasn’t designed for. I just put mine on my hardtail bike that I usually save for the well maintained, hardpack trails anyways.

Right now the FS has a set of 2.35 Nevegals on it and they’re working out pretty well. I’m taking her to some new trails this weekend and we’ll see how the Nevegal pattern treats me given that terrain. For the most part, they’re been a decent all around tire, much like the Panaracer XC and the Velociraptor.

For what it’s worth, most of my riding would be considered trail or AM riding. I’ll tolerate a long climb if a decent downhill is the reward. If it’s nothing more than a 15 mile torturefest with a slow technical downhill, I’ll see you when you’re done; you’ll find me at the bar. Not my idea of a good ride. 200lbs of man and gear on a 6"travel bike never made for great climbing anyways. 😉

I love the Nevegals too. The Mutano Raptors do take some finesse to get over those pesky wet roots. They do lack some traction but that’s the sacrifice you have to make to get low rolling resistance. The center tread is what gives it low rolling resistance.

Viewing 18 reply threads