I have seen the light!!!!! Lock-On grips!

Forums Mountain Bike Forum I have seen the light!!!!! Lock-On grips!

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author

For the last 10 years I have used the Yeti grips that you douse with alcohol and slide on and let dry.They slipped a little bit toward the outside edges but stayed put for the most part and other than the fact they wore a bit fast,they were always great grips.

Yesterday I ran across a deal on some Rogue lock on grips and collars and decided to give them a shot.All I can say is I did not know what I was missing in the solid feel of the lock on grip.Now I just need new gloves and I’ll be set,haha.

I guess that had to be where I got to try those was your bike and I remember thinking those felt really nice compared to what I was running,very professional and solid.Those Ruffians seemed like they would grip well but they have a smaller outside diameter so the Rogues seemed to be where it was at.They feel nice and fat on the bars and it seems like it would be really hard to slip off of.Hell,they make these for jet ski’s and the raised pads are good for channeling away water according to ODI’s website,I thought they just made bicycle grips,haha.

Those red locking collars were the only colored ones I saw anywhere in town in the last 6 months and I used to think,"too bad those are the wrong color for the bike".Not anymore! Since I got the other frame and it has a good bit of red I figured these would go well with the bike.

Rogue lock-ons FTW!

Those are awesome grips. I have been using them for about a year on my bike. They are great for jet skis too. I used them for three years when I had my yamaha superjet. Pretty much all of the stand-up ski riders use those grips.

I’ve got to say,with only 2 rides on these grips,these are awesome! I rode around the yard trail after work without gloves and they just feel so incredibly fat and grippy.One of the better "results for the money" modifications I’ve ever done to a bike.

I really need to replace my crummy grips with a set of those. Since you showed em to me on Tuesday on that most excellent of rides, I decided to get the same thing, just with blue collars instead of crimson. From the ODI website, I can even have em laser-etched for a little personalisation. 😃

I’m about to order a set of these for my bike as soon as i get to my bank and put the cash i have onto my card, grabbing them from http://www.hucknroll.com along with a pair of Shimano MP66W’s which i am hoping turn out to be awesome, I’m getting the shoes, grips and a pair of CB Mallet2 pedals for some upgrades this season. cant wait for the rain to stop so i can ride with them!

ive been eyeing those grips for a month or so. I bought the new osprey raptor 14 instead of springing for the grips. Im hoping to get those grips next week………. and blue lock caps. 😆

Well I just got my grips today, and I have to say ODI delivered. I got my avatar name etched into my clamps and they look great. Can’t wait to get up with GALAXY tomorrow night and slip the new pedals, grips and seatpost on!

Edit: I forgot to mention, my new pedals are Azonics Flat 420s that are also blue for a little more of a tinge on the bike. Little touches like that make a huge difference. 😃

I just received my set of ODI ruffin lock on grips. I’ve never had lock ons and I’m already pleased with them. I do mostly singletrack and love how these grips feel. Very different than my stock grips. I got the blue caps too bc my Haro is blue. Haha.

Damn,those blue lock rings look good! I’ll get those snapped on there for you tonight.

Glad you’re liking your lock-ons too panda….great investment!

After reading your post and looking at ODIs site, I’m gonna have to snag a set of these on payday. Now just gotta figure out what I wan enscribed on the lock ring….hmmmm….

I tried to go to the ODI site to check out the inscription feature and was blocked by my work filter for "weapons". Those must be some bada$$ grips!

"fleetwood" wrote

I tried to go to the ODI site to check out the inscription feature and was blocked by my work filter for "weapons". Those must be some bada$$ grips!

WOW! Do you work for like the NSA or something? It worked fine for me at work and the filters that Navy Marine Corps Institute (they run our military intranet) has some CRAZY ass filters in place…

I finally got to check out the etching feature. Pretty cool. Might be worth the extra bucks just for the novelty of it. I do need new grips. That much is for sure. The Rogue sounds plush.

Well ’tis awesome, me and GALAXY finally got my new seatpost and Rogue grips on my bike and they do look sweetness. We’ll post some pics later on, but in the meantime Azonic finally got around to getting me my new Flat 420 pedals. Very nice indeed, I hope they’re worth the 100 dollar pricetag.

I recently purchased some lock-ons from the LBS. Was thinking of going with the ROUGE ODI’s(definetly love the engraving they offer) instead went with the PDW speed metal grips. Haven’t had a chance to ride with them except in front of the house and they feel great so far, here’s the link to the web site if anyone is intrested, i got mine in that red color too…

http://www.ridepdw.com/goods/grips/speed-metal-grips

sweet pedals bro’, i wanna get some in the crimson red color…

Thanks for the kudos, guys. CP, you’re right. Me and GALAXY went riding tonight at the 8th and went over to our drop spot (I can drop up to 2 feet now! 😃 ). With these new pedals I feel a lot more planted when landing a drop or going down over a log in the trail. They’re so much more solid feeling as well as having those aggressive grip pins, my feet don’t move a millimetre. I’ll throw in a pic post ride tonight at his pad. Pictured is the left pedal as well as my new Easton EC70 seatpost, which also feels sexy as well.

"ChiliPepper" wrote

Damn that looks good! Did you paint the frame? I thought it was a gray to silver color. I may be wrong, but even though, it is looking sweet. With that big shock, you should be landing 4′ drops at least…. 😆

Ride on bro, ride on! 😄

Haha, it’s gonna be a bit before I’ll ever get that high. No, I didn’t paint the bike, GALAXY removed the Walmart decals for me so I can replace them with my Hayabusa decals. Should look pretty sweet.

what is the purpose of replacing a seat post other than weight? Do some posts offer more areas of adjustment?

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="BikerPanda":2zpaghyu]what is the purpose of replacing a seat post other than weight? Do some posts offer more areas of adjustment?

Mainly strength and weight, but yes some offer more adjustment. Some are even longer or shorter than others.[/quote:2zpaghyu]

Strenght? Should I start a new thread? lol.

"BikerPanda" wrote

[quote="ChiliPepper":2ww5pmn3][quote="BikerPanda":2ww5pmn3]what is the purpose of replacing a seat post other than weight? Do some posts offer more areas of adjustment?

Mainly strength and weight, but yes some offer more adjustment. Some are even longer or shorter than others.[/quote:2ww5pmn3]

Strenght? Should I start a new thread? lol.[/quote:2ww5pmn3]

I replaced my seatpost for a couple of reasons. One, it was the Walmart original that had been slid up and down the post tube so it was all scratched up and looked cheap as all hell. Two, it never felt right on my bike. With my new one it’s a lot more comfortable and for some reason with the current adjustment, it just feels better. I can’t even explain it, it’s just something you know inside if you know what I mean. Plus it looks real damn cool too. 😆

THOMSON FTW

im looking at Thomsons seatposts now and my g/f wants me to give you all ‘the finger’ for her bc she is tired of me dropping money on a bike…………she just doesnt understand. 😆

"BikerPanda" wrote

im looking at Thomsons seatposts now and my g/f wants me to give you all ‘the finger’ for her bc she is tired of me dropping money on a bike…………she just doesnt understand. 😆

Imagine your other hobby is playing an instrument. Then she’ll NEVER understand! Expensive hobbies are expensive.

Oh, and gorgeous grips.

my guitars were bought and paid for before I met her. :rofl:

Those speed metal grips look really cool too.

I would love a set of those 420 pedals in red,I may have to "pin" mine at work this week after feeling those.

This thread took off pretty well,I hope everyone that has decided to check out the lock-ons likes them as much as I do! Pretty nice to have the confidence that the grips are NOT going to move.

Lock ons rule. I’m glad I decided to get my set. Not as soft as my non lock ons, but a hell of a lot more comfortable, and yes it’s nice to know they’re not going to slip.

"GALAXY" wrote

Those speed metal grips look really cool too.

I would love a set of those 420 pedals in red,I may have to "pin" mine at work this week after feeling those.

This thread took off pretty well,I hope everyone that has decided to check out the lock-ons likes them as much as I do! Pretty nice to have the confidence that the grips are NOT going to move.

the whole reason I started looking at lock-ons was courtesy of this thread. :thumbsup:

I’m wondering if excessive heat makes the grips slip more. It got up near 100 yesterday. I was out in the neighborhood last night riding with my son. It had cooled some, but was still very warm. My grips were practically spinning around the bars and this was very casual riding. I’m riding tonight. I hope it doesn’t become a nuisance. Tonight might be the catalyst to finally plunge for some new lock-ons. It’s only been over a year since I said "I need new grips". I also hope I don’t get heat stroke tonight. Wish me luck – on both accounts!

I’m glad the thread helped and if it can improve the quality of your rides,which I hope it does,all the better.I sure think it helped mine with one less thing to ever worry about.My grips didn’t move a whole lot before,just the outside of them would get tweeked and screw up the Yeti logo and it bothered me so I would twist them back all the time.

I bet the heat combined with the humidity could make the grips slip more than normal,I had never thought of that having an effect.

Good luck with the ride (probably a bit late) and don’t have a heat stroke man…take it easy if you need too.

I never considered the heat and humidity and the grips slipping. Very good point. Either way, the lock ons are a God send and feel nice, grippy and firm. Definitely recommended to any rider be them serious or recreational. 😃

Well, it was a success on both accounts. We got the ride in. It was definitely hot but not unbearable. I didn’t notice any more movement than usual with my grips. I’ve still got lock-ons on the short list though.

Viewing 32 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.