I have a question regarding my bottom bracket

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

My bike has a b32 bottom bracket, I want to put a different crankset on it so that I can have 9 speeds. I will put some part names here so that you guys can get an idea of what I am wanting to do.

Let’s say that I want to use a Sram S600 Crankset with an X.4 rear derailleur with Sram 9 speed cassette. I would get a FD that would be compatible with that. If my bike currently has a b32 BB in it, would a S600 crankset work with it?

I am having a hell of a time finding out info on this.

Any help would be appreciated. My cousin is a Sram rep and I messaged him about it, but he is on the road a lot, so it may be a while before he responds.

Not sure I follow; why do you need a new crankset for a 9 speed cassette? Are you going to a 1×9?

"Tr0gd0r" wrote

Not sure I follow; why do you need a new crankset for a 9 speed cassette? Are you going to a 1×9?

currently my bike has a 7 speed cassette. Would I need to get a crankset that mates up with a 9 speed cassette or would I be able to continue to use the one that I currently have and just put a 9 speed cassette on my wheel? I ordered a derailleur to replace the one that I just got, so that goes is compatible for a 7, 8, or 9.

It isn’t really that easy is it? I thought it would be more difficult.

Yeah it should be just as simple as swapping out the cassette/derailleur 😃

"Tr0gd0r" wrote

that is great news!

"Tr0gd0r" wrote

Sorry, not true. 9 speed chains are narrower, and you need narrower chainrings. I don’t know what a "b32" BB is….where are you reading b32? The S600 utilizes two types of BBs, so make sure you get the right crankset for the right BB: square spindle ([url:1dp6ssjd]http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Square-Bottom-Bracket-68x118mm/dp/B005DTIDDY/[/url:1dp6ssjd]) or Power Spline ([url:1dp6ssjd]http://www.amazon.com/Truvativ-Power-Spline-Bottom-Bracket/dp/B003WOQENI[/url:1dp6ssjd]) spindle.

Then, like you said, new FD, a RD that can do 9 speed, shifters for 9 speed, and a 9 speed cassette. This could be a serious overhaul….

You will need a crank 9/8 speed compatible, 9 speed Shifter, 9 speed chain, and rear derailuer.
      There is no BB32 Bottom Bracket on the market so your not looking at something right. If your bike has 7 speed stock it is going to be a basic bike with a thread in bottom bracket so if you go with the s600 crank you will also need a matching bottom bracket with the correct spindle length or if you have a square taper bottom bracket now they make a s600 crank that would work.

"billq0000" wrote

You will need a crank 9/8 speed compatible, 9 speed Shifter, 9 speed chain, and rear derailuer.
      There is no BB32 Bottom Bracket on the market so your not looking at something right. If your bike has 7 speed stock it is going to be a basic bike with a thread in bottom bracket so if you go with the s600 crank you will also need a matching bottom bracket with the correct spindle length or if you have a square taper bottom bracket now they make a s600 crank that would work.

Echo….Echo…Echo…. ;)

thanks for the help guys

"d_cushman" wrote

Sorry, not true. 9 speed chains are narrower, and you need narrower chainrings. I don’t know what a "b32" BB is….where are you reading b32? The S600 utilizes two types of BBs, so make sure you get the right crankset for the right BB: square spindle ([url:1ocri9ar]http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Square-Bottom-Bracket-68x118mm/dp/B005DTIDDY/[/url:1ocri9ar]) or Power Spline ([url:1ocri9ar]http://www.amazon.com/Truvativ-Power-Spline-Bottom-Bracket/dp/B003WOQENI[/url:1ocri9ar]) spindle.

Then, like you said, new FD, a RD that can do 9 speed, shifters for 9 speed, and a 9 speed cassette. This could be a serious overhaul….

Yeah you’re right, touche. I was thinking this was a 1×9, so no front rings/ramps to worry about.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.