I got to go ride!

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

I still have not picked up a bike but a good friend recently did before he left for a 5 day cruise so he left it with me so I could tune the thing up while he was gone.

It is a Mongoose Snare FS from Wal-Mart and while not the best thing in the world,it could be decent with a few parts.

[url:spobz41a]http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10927844[/url:spobz41a]

I had to adjust both derailleurs of course and also had to straighten a bent rotor that would rub the pads in one spot..it is perfect now.The shock in the rear is incredibly stiff and I weigh 228 so I loosened the shock to where the spring was loose and the rear end never dropped. Either the bolts that hold the swingarm are way too tight or that shock is just in need of some lube and movement.

After I got the bike shifting decently I took it around the neighborhood and through the woods at the back of the place and maybe 2 miles worth of riding and I was about to die! It had been about 2 years since I got on a bike and getting the dust off is gonna be fun but I’m all for it!!! I have the bike in the car and may go putt around after work if it’s not raining.

I finally got to ride!

When my friend gets back to pick up his bike he’s gonna kick me down his old one so I should still be able to ride until I pick out a bike or build a frame.

cool man, I was unaware that Wal-mart bikes had disc brakes of any kind. By the way, what kind of parts are on the bike? I remember somebody here saying Shimano had put their name on some of the bikes sold at Wal-mart.

Chilipepper,
      Did you swap in that shock or did yours come with it?

Yeah, no issues about the welds, I think they’re welded like tow truck bodies…how’s the weight though?

That’s actually a reasonable weight for a "trail" bike, although a tad heavier than an all-out XC rig.

That’s awesome man, I always love seeing how people transform bikes like that. But thanks for filling me in on that, I guess you do learn something new everyday.

No problem on the talking about bikes,haha. That longer travel rear shock is an illusion.I’m pretty sure it doesn’t need an 850 LB spring on it and that would be the first thing I’d replace because even when I’m crankin it hard it barely dips…acts more like a XC bike with the stiff suspension.

The bike does have Shimano triggers and derailleurs,not sure what series but they were comparable to the components on the Trek my freind was riding yesterday.Both the Trek and Mongoose had Suntour SR cranks and the fork on the Snare is a Suntour as well.

I got to ride after work yesterday too! It was only a rails to trails paved one but it was over 30 miles and my poor legs were about to give out when I got back to the car.I didn’t plan to ride that far but the 2 friends I was with kept on going so I did too.My poor ass is hurtin from that seat!

Soon Chilipepper!!! Car is fine now so I can get there and I should be in better shape by then.

I’m 228 as of the other day,my prime riding weight was about 185 a few years ago,never seem to get under that.There is NO sag on that bike,even if I loosen that spring up to where it’s free between the perches the back end of the bike will not drop unless I push it down.I was pretty sure the spring I had on the Disco Monkey was a 450# but I can’t be sure…I loved how soft that thing rode but at the expense of soaking up a bit of pedal power.It also had a nicer shock with adjustable rebound.The forks on the Snare have an adjustment knob but I don’t know what it adjusts,I haven’t played with it yet,they seemed to feel fine even with my heavy ass.

Yeah,I believe they just put whatever on the bike with no regard to matching the front forks spring rate or feel.Thanks for the sag and spring guidelines also!

I don’t believe I ever posted a link to my old bike,but it was perfectly matched and felt right…when/if I pick up this Snare,that shock will be the first to go.Here is the old ‘Monkey..

[url:2ggp5fpo]http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2001&Brand=K2&Model=Disco+Monkey&Type=bike[/url:2ggp5fpo]

Since my friend is planning on bringing me his old bike to ride,which is what I rode after the Monkey,I may just swap out the grip shifters for some triggers and rock that until I can build a frame and my skills.

Here is that bike…

It won’t be 30 miles but I plan to ride a couple miles to a friends house in a few to stay with it.

I’ll measure that sag for the hell of it also,haha.

That bike in the picture above is his old bike that he will bring by for me later this week.

This is the Snare in the link that I rode yesterday.

I actually have a little toy bike replica of that Disco Monkey,I was in K-Mart one day and saw it and thought "no way,I have to get that",so of course I did.I also have a Santa Cruz Super 8 and an Intense M3 that I picked up before that.I was never aware of Mountain Biking being popular enough to sell little toy models of those bikes at that time but I’ve never seen anything close again.I really wish my camera didn’t die!!!

I’d like to build another Disco Monkey if I could find a frame,I bet it would be cheap.Hell,maybe someone has one collecting dust…like the person who bought it years ago.

I’m glad you’re tired from some Freeriding bro! That would be real nice to see some technical stuff after my paved road through the woods yesterday. I’d like to head to some dirt tomarrow before my buddy comes by and swaps out bikes so maybe I’ll be able to tell you guys I’m worn out from that tomarrow,haha.

Damn,sorry to hear about the tumbling bike.At least your son didn’t go head over heels with it and he’s fine…derailleurs can be replaced but it still hurts to see a bike do that.I’ve not taken my girlfriends son out yet,I want to wait til we can all go so I need to get her a bike soon as well.

I think that Mongoose is an XR-200 but I’m not 100% on that.With it’s XC frame design,it’s more plush feeling than that Snare at the moment.

Off to work on time today so I can go ride this afternoon!

You mean it didn’t do this?
      [color=blue:2ly12x25]Ghost Rider[/color:2ly12x25]

😆

I know what you mean though, I took my daughter to Hidden Mesa the other day and she was getting off and pushing on stuff she has ridden a bunch of times. It was weird.

Dang,sorry to hear about his bike needing some repair.Maybe if you just take your time fixing it so he’s out for a week or two he’ll think about not doing that again. 😉

I went out and rode a short bit on some dirt in light to medium rain this evening and got nice and dirty.There was a good bit of wet roots combined with some tight corners that made for a pretty technical ride I really didn’t expect and it was alot of fun getting back in the dirt.I was playing around on a wet wood bridge locking up the back tire and sliding around and came into a right hand curve a little too fast with my left foot out and ate it pretty good on my side sliding across the wet wood.My friend that was riding with me started laughing as he applied his brakes to not run me over and he lost it too although he caught himself.

Yay dirt!!!

"GALAXY" wrote

Dang,sorry to hear about his bike needing some repair.Maybe if you just take your time fixing it so he’s out for a week or two he’ll think about not doing that again. 😉

I went out and rode a short bit on some dirt in light to medium rain this evening and got nice and dirty.There was a good bit of wet roots combined with some tight corners that made for a pretty technical ride I really didn’t expect and it was alot of fun getting back in the dirt.I was playing around on a wet wood bridge locking up the back tire and sliding around and came into a right hand curve a little too fast with my left foot out and ate it pretty good on my side sliding across the wet wood.My friend that was riding with me started laughing as he applied his brakes to not run me over and he lost it too although he caught himself.

Yay dirt!!!

Yea Galaxy, wet wood is the worst for traction. When me and some buds rode at Slatyfork WV a while back I had no worries about traction on rocks wet or dry. Just cleaned a tough rock patch and feeling all good about myself, then almost went down just hitting a wet stick at the wrong angle. Shhh Wheel kicked out about a foot to the downhill side and I thought I was going to eat a dirt sandwhich 😮

Wet wood bridges are the absolute worst. They’re slick to start out with and a lot of times you get moss and other stuff growing in them that just adds to the mayhem. All part of the adventure of riding I suppose.

The slippery bridges are fun and I didn’t really mind the fall,it was good to get back into it because I’m sure it’ll happen again.This particular bridge was covered by the canopy and crossed a creek so it gets a fair amount of moisture with not much sun and is covered in a slick film.I should’ve switched feet,haha.

Chilipepper,did you ever make it to check out that Snare?

No,not yet but give me some time,haha.I don’t have my full face helmet anymore but once I get a decent bike I’ll pick one up as well as a few other safety items.I’ve started to wonder about the Santos bike shop and what kind of stuff they have there now that all that big stuff is out there.All that they stock around here is geared mostly for XC so I need to find a good place to get parts from as well as a better job so I can afford more bike parts!

Is that derailleur hanger by chance a machined aluminum part? If that’s just 2 holes in a piece of flat stock I can make you one.

You are going to laugh but i came really close to buying the Mongoose snare about a month before i bought my Giant Yukon FX. I was going to keep my Raleigh SC 30 and buy the Mongoose to offroad. It seemed like a descent bike. Felt sturdy and the rear shock felt nice and strong as oppose to the fork. i was walking to the register with the bike when i changed my mind and said you know what? Screw it ! Im gonna get the freaking Yukon FX 😆

A bit off the topic, doesn’t chilipeper look hot! Check out his avatar! You on a new diet or something? 😆

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.