Hydration/ Backpacks

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Hey All,
      I am in the market for a Hydration/ Backpack. Got my eye on a Hydrapak Big Sur. I live down in Tampa now and well… you know how friggin hot it is here. I figure I can’t go too wrong with a 3 liter reservoir, plus I can get 450 cu. in. of gear in it. What do you think? What are you guys using?
      Looking to pay $50 to $100.
      http://www.hydrapak.com/products/packs/big-sur

I have the Camelbak MULE (2008). Similar to what you are looking at there with 3l reserve and 549 cu inch of gear storage. It’s got a nice fit, easy fill wide mouth to the reserve, ventilation airflow in the backplate to help keep you cool. You can look at the new 2010 models or do a search for the older ones (saw a couple sites selling the 2008 for around $50.

I live on the SC/GA border so the heat and humidity are horrible here as well.

I have had Camelbaks in the past but now I use an Osprey Raptor 14 and its the best pack I have ever bought and it was 100 bucks. 3L bladder with enough storage room to carry all your gear and possible your buddys. Great fit and durable.

My buddy runs a MULE and loves it. I don’t have a link bc I’m posting from my phone but google will reveal all! Lol.

I also have the Camelbak MULE but I have the NV version. In my opinion the pack is just the right size. Perfect amount for storage and a 100oz reservoir. I really like how it fits though, very comfortable! Several adjustments to dial it in to your liking. Also the NVIS back panel is awesome. It really helps keep cool in the nasty Florida summer heat. Haven’t used other pack to compare but I would highly recommend this one. http://www.singletracks.com/mtbreviews/ … /2389.html

jpo

I ride with a CamelBak Lobo, doesn’t have the same cargo capacity that you seem to be looking for, but I find it to be adequate for what I carry, has the 100 oz reservoir, and is small enough that I don’t feel it when I am riding.

Now granted it gets filled to capacity pretty quick, but I have also never felt I was lacking space.

"BikerPanda" wrote

I have had Camelbaks in the past but now I use an Osprey Raptor 14 and its the best pack I have ever bought and it was 100 bucks. 3L bladder with enough storage room to carry all your gear and possible your buddys. Great fit and durable.

+1! I have the Osprey Raptor 14 as well, and I like far better than what I was using before. I tried on a lot of different hydration packs on before I bought it, and I thought it was the most comfortable by far. Also, Osprey has two smaller sizes (Raptor 10 & Raptor 6) so you can decide how much cargo room you want. I would recommend trying on several different makes and models and load them up if you can. A decent outdoor equipment store usually has bean bag weights in the backpack department. That should give you a better understanding how the pack will feel when you’re out on the trail.

After checking out the Hydrapac and the Camelbaks I took BikerPanda’s advice and went on the hunt for the Osprey Hydraulics line. I ended up buying the Raptor 14 also. I’ve only been out with it once so far and I wasn’t disappointed. It fits(feels) great, holds a lot of gear, and has the 3L reservoir. The reservoir has a rigid plate made into that makes removing and inserting it into the pack a snap, plus its contoured to your back and keeps the reservoir from barreling out against your back. Very comfortable and the ventilation was excellent on a 95 degree day. I would highly recommend this pack to anyone. Thanks for the tip BikerPanda!

I just bought a hydration pack at Costco, it holds 2 liters, lots of storage and compartments including a helmet holder, made for Biking, Hiking, etc, $19.95, VAPEL mesh AIRFLOW padded back wicks moisture, made by High Sierra, model is Scout,,, highsierrasport.com

"joetutt" wrote

I also have the Camelbak MULE but I have the NV version.

MULE NV here as well. It’s comfortable, holds quite a bit and stays put. For me the 100oz reservoir is a must have in the Florida heat. I load mine up with ice and it stays cold for hours.

I have a couple year old Gregory Reactor, holds all my gear and 100oz of water (Camelbak Rez).

Been a great pack, dunno if they still make it. I think I paid ~$60 @ EMS for it (sans Rez)

I use the Camelbak Lobo right now. Before that I had a Camelbak Rocket. I think the Rocket fit better and I liked the insulated tube. It had a smaller resevoir though and very minimal storage though. I upgraded to the Lobo for more storage. As I said, I don’t think it fits as well, the tube is not insulated, there is no clip for the tube, and the mouthpiece leaks if I don’t lock it out. I use it regularly and it gets me by. I’ve heard a lot about the Osprey packs. I may be checking those out next time I am in the market.

"fleetwood" wrote

I use the Camelbak Lobo right now. Before that I had a Camelbak Rocket. I think the Rocket fit better and I liked the insulated tube. It had a smaller resevoir though and very minimal storage though. I upgraded to the Lobo for more storage. As I said, I don’t think it fits as well, the tube is not insulated, there is no clip for the tube, and the mouthpiece leaks if I don’t lock it out. I use it regularly and it gets me by. I’ve heard a lot about the Osprey packs. I may be checking those out next time I am in the market.

I took my Osprey (Ratpor 14) to a DMB show Tuesday night and people were jealous I had such an awesome idea. It held my blanket (rolled up and clipped to the outer storage clip. Not really a pocket.), three t-shirts, 3 water bottles (couldnt take in my reservoir), camera, keys, my wallet, and me and my g/fs sunglasses. Id be lost without my Osprey. 😆

I have a few packs that I ride with. The one that I frequently use though is the Osprey Manta 20…I tend to go for long rides and this one works best for me. The biggest feature is the bladder. No one else runs a bladder like this. The bladder even filled to capacity does not feel like you have a salami on your back, unlike some others out there.

I use an Osprey Raptor 16. Well build lots of storage and a well built bag. The bladder is awesome because of the design.

Im a big fan of the Source range of hydration packs. Currently use the Vector Race found here
      http://sourceoutdoor.com/15-cycling-end … tion-packs
      Very Happy with it.

I have a Camelbak LOBO i love it you can put store quite a bit but if you want more space i would get the Camelbak MULE

Cambebak H.O.S.S. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ … +Pack.aspx

I like these so much, I bought a second one in case I can’t find a new one when my first one wears out. Easily the most comfortable pack I have ever worn.

It’s big for most mountain bike rides and the main compartment doesn’t have any dividers/organizers but I like to bring a large first aid kit and other bulky supplies with me, just in case, so I don’t mind. The front compartment holds all your tools and there’s a cell phone/sunglasses pocket on top. The hydration bladder is 3L/100oz.

The thing that makes this back is the D.V.I.S. back system, which CamelBak seems to have abandoned in favour of the less effective (my opinion) N.V.I.S. system. Both systems are basically suspension that keeps the pack off your back. It sounds simple, but it’s incredibly effective. The whole pack sits away from your back, distributing the load evenly.The airflow it allows also keeps your shirt dry and your water cool.

The N.V.I.S. system attempts the same thing but it’s too thin, I find the pack ends up resting against your pack anyway.

Another perk is that the main compartment is waterproof. Perfect for a dry change of clothes!

I just remembered, the H.O.S.S. has been reviewed on Singletracks: http://www.singletracks.com/mtbreviews/ … /1402.html

I agree with what these reviews say. It’s big, it holds everything, it’s a bit heavy, but you can forget you’re wearing it!

This pack is totally overkill for the 2-3 hour group rides I typically use it for, but having everything I might need AND being more comfortable than I would with any other pack, totally worth it 😀

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.