Hydration packs what does everyone use?

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author

I picked up my first pack a Camelbak Lobo this winter and have been beating the hell out of it. I’m a big fan of the 100 oz capacity and like the amount of storage since I’m the only guy who runs a full pack.

I’m curious what everyone else uses for long rides (how many hours) and short rides, and the reasons for their choices.

I was (emphasis on WAS) a dedicated Camelbak user, until I discovered the Raptor hydration pack series by Osprey. I now have a Raptor 14 and it is awesome! Great features, functionality, and WAY more comfortable than an equally-sized Camelbak. Sturdy enough for hiking/daypack use too.

I have owned many mostly Camelbak but now am hung up on my Osprey Manta 20

Yup, Osprey Raptor rocks. Crazy how much they got right with these packs on the first try.

im either going to get the Camelbak Hawg or the Osprey Raptor 14.

Im leaning towards the Raptor bc the design and functionality just looks better IMO. Plus the reviews are stellar and thats important too. 😃

I’ve owed quite a few osprey pack in the past and currently use one for climbing. These guys have been around a while and have really been shaking up the backpack scene the last few years. No surprise they’ve come out with such good product for riders.

I’ve mainly been using Camelbak in the past but the Opsrey packs have really caught my eye.

**oh! another thing about Osprey is their AMAZING warranty service. they will repair/ replace your pack for its lifetime! My dog went after some food in the lid of my pack and jacked up the zipper. Osprey repaired the zipper at no charge. SWEET!

[url:3uqb2n7o]http://www.ospreypacks.com/CustomerService/AllMightyGuarantee/[/url:3uqb2n7o]

I have a HAWG and really like it. Plenty of room for 100oz + tools (small hand saw, clippers, mini pump, multi tool, chain tool, tube, co2, etc) and a first aid kit. And have room to spare.

The Osprey packs do look really nice though, I’d like to try one. But, as I already have 3 packs (50oz, 70oz, and 100oz) I don’t see me buying another anytime soon lol.

Cool stuff guys, I’ve got a buddy who was jealous when he saw me drinking on the fly and not needing long rest stops to chug water from a bottle. I’ll point out the Osprey packs to him and see what he says.

I love my camelbacks. Depending on what I am doing I have a couple different ones. For the long rides/all day it’s either the Transalp or cloud walker

I use a CamelBak Rogue. Small, Lightwieght, handy pockets, works great. Its not the biggest – For extra long rides Ill have the waterbottle as well, but I typically do fine with just the Camelbak if Im out three hours or so.

i went the cheap rout. I have one from WM. it has plenty of pockets and is comfortable. I dont fill mine up with alot of stuff since my back cant carry it all. and I usuall ride with others who have bigger packs. Im usually out for 2-3 hours and my water lasts.

Cheap – I’ve been using High Sierra packs for years. $20 from Costco. I’ve also had 2 different Camelback brand packs and prefer High Sierra (other than the bladder isn’t so good). Lots of great features. For cooler weather where I want to pack clothes once the sun sets… Wingnuts packs are great!!! I used one for a 2 week bikepacking trip in Sardinia and way better than same priced Camelback ($120).

My 2 cents…

mine was about that price from WM. I like it better than the one i spent 60 on

I am really digging my Osprey Raptor 14. I have had it for 2 or 3 months now. Very comfortable, has a 3L bladder, and holds a lot of gear. Osprey is On Point!

I have to agree on the Osprey Raptor…I love my Raptor 10, just enough room for the gear I carry (up to 600 c.i.), and 3L of water if needed.

+1 for the Camelbak Rogue, however my full suspension has only one bottle cage where my hardtail had two. On long rides in the desert I have come too close to running out, so I will be upgrading to something 100oz.

I kind of like the look of the Lobo. It’s styled similar to the Rogue that I am already used to, but has the 100oz bladder.

I use a 20L Deuter and a 10L Vaude depending on how big a pack I need, usually the bigger one in winter for stashing warmer clothes.
      Both have a mesh back panel to keep you cooler and more comfortable in summer.
      The Deuter has held up perfectly for about 7 years. The Vaude’s zipper has seperated but it’s 12 years old and still works well enough to not lose anything.
      Camelbak is more compartmentalized, having more pockets. Both of these are simply more comfortable and you sweat less, a big deal here in Arizona.
      I use Platypus blatters. The one thing Camelbak makes I like is their bite valves.

I own both a Camelbak M.U.L.E. and an Osprey Raptor 14. I like to be able to carry 3L and have just enough room to carry any MTB necessities.

I’ve sported a Camelbak H.A.W.G. in the past as well.

Ive been looking at some packs and wondering if the raptor 14 has a place for ipod? Like i seen mule can put ipod on top pouch and has small hole for headphones wire to come thru..

"Impulse2009" wrote

Ive been looking at some packs and wondering if the raptor 14 has a place for ipod? Like i seen mule can put ipod on top pouch and has small hole for headphones wire to come thru..

I have the raptor 14. It has a pouch where you can put one but I havent seen a hole for headphones to come out. I usually keep my wallet, itouch (take it so it doesnt get stolen), and my phone in that same pouch.

I use a Camelbak Rogue and it’s great for shorter rides. I currently store my tool kit in an underseat pounch on my bike.
      To this point I’ve been leaving my wallet and keys in my truck (just take the remote) and put my phone and remote in my shorts pockets (they zip closed).
      I’m looking for something a little bigger though to store my keys, wallet, phone, and a couple more tools, 1st aid kit in though for the longer rides.
      Will look at a couple mentioned here for sure.

I use the camebak lobo for shorter rides and the mule for longer rides – the mule has a small zippered pocket in the top of the pack with a "slot" for ipod cord – both packs have done well, only requiring frequent cleaning (multi use trails, horses, you get the picture.. 😮 ..)

Have not looked at the osprey but certainly will when I need a new one.

FlowAk

I bought a Camelbak Lobo this year and I think it’s one of the greatest inventions ever. My rides are usually under 2 hrs so I don’t need to carry 3 changes of clothes and a hair dryer. It’s nice to have the storage space too, for an extra tube and tools. The Lobo is perfect for the application I use it for.

I use the Osprey Raptor 14 also. Great all around pack. It has a top pocket that I keep my phone, wallet,etc in… although there is no hole for a headphone cable, I think the way the zipper closes you wouldn’t have a problem running it out there.

Fox Racing Oasis Hydration pack in black.
      2 liter resevoir
      Just enough room for what I need
      One sleeve for pump, one for tube,
      Pocket for tools, C02, etc
      Mouth piece leaks, replaced with Dakine mouthpiece.

Just ordered me raptor 14 will let everyone know how i feel about it when i get it/test it.

A good friend gave me an Osprey Raptor 10,I love this thing,fits everthing for my day trips.

"Stevie_D" wrote

I use the Osprey Raptor 14 also. Great all around pack. It has a top pocket that I keep my phone, wallet,etc in… although there is no hole for a headphone cable, I think the way the zipper closes you wouldn’t have a problem running it out there.

Thats exactly how it works. Tested this Sunday and it works as you say. No issues whatsoever….I love my Osprey.

Ive been using the Source vector race found here:
      http://sourceoutdoor.com/15-cycling-end … tion-packs
      a top of the range pack that hasnt let me down!

Viewing 28 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.