Hub grease

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Do I need something special for greasing bearing in my hub? All I have is some Park Tool PolyLube 1000 grease. Can I use this or does it matter?

Hmm… I guess a good grease recipe to try is a 50/50 mix of green axle grease and any type of white Teflon based bicycle grease. This is just what I’ve used in the past.

The Teflon grease is very good but isn’t very thick and tends to liquefy easily. The green axle grease adds muscle to it.

I personally wouldn’t mix greases they tend to react to one another..Just get yourself a proper wheel grease. You could use a Phil wood grease that many folks use. Or from Finishline they have two. One is ceramic grease which I use or the Premium grease with teflon

In my experience (outside of MTB) greases reacting with each other never proposed a problem. That’s not saying that they don’t. I’m sure something does arise, but yup, mixing grease can definitely be a pain. Especially if they aren’t compatible, therefor if you do bother trying, you gotta make sure you know which to use. As element stated, keeping it simple is the easiest bet.

To add onto it I think Pedro may have a line of grease. But I’m not a fan of Pedro so I don’t know for sure

What about a white lithium grease? I have been thinking about using this to get the squeek out of my rear hub.

That stuff is not a great idea to use…It does attract an exceptional amount of dirt and may swell some seals.

Gotcha…I will talk to the guys who compete at my local bike shop.

Bearings take grease?

Madd….yup they do…

That is unless your racing track then you cheat and run a light oil in them to reduce drag…But seeing that you and I ride MTB run grease…I personally use a grease that contains ceramic as well in a synthetic base.

The LBS must take care of them when I bring it in semi-annually. I’ve never had to bother.

I will say that the Shimano hubs that came on my WTB Dual Duty wheelset are crap. I had to have the rear one rebuilt with only about 100 miles on it.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.