Hub and wheel sizing help???

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Hub and wheel sizing help???

--
SHARES

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  ToddyBahama 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Hi All-

so I picked up a fatbike because I’m an older rider that is new to the sport and I wanted the stability a 4″ tire provides. I thought it would be best to go this way as I’m quite a lot stronger still than my kids (not for much longer) who I’ve put on 29ers. Well those little dudes have gotten stronger and faster and I want to try the new B+ wheel size and a 3″ tire but can’t seem to find an affordable way to do it. My bike has 26″ wheels with <span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>hubs that are:</span>

<span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>Front: 15×150</span>

<span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>Rear: 12×177, HD. </span>

<span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>And I’m trying to understand how to shop online for a wheelset that’ll work for me. Ive come to understand that the 150 and the 177 refer to the width of the hub and that one can use a 150 hub with spaces to achieve a 177 width. The other two dimensions (12 & 15) are leaving me miffed though. I’ve looked on youtube and at major brand sites to learn what the 15 and the 12 refer to but the info must be so simple that none of these resources spell it out. </span>

Can an someone out there help me out with a link to a site that delves into this please? I’d actually like to build my own wheelset but would like to start with the correct part and pieces.

<span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>Ps – took the family on vaca this summer to the UP of Michigan where we rode Copper Harbor, Boyne Highland and Boyne Mountain. I have to say, if there’s any chance you can get to Copper Harbor…do it. There is everything there for the relative beginner all the way through to the craziest, airborne riders out there. The Highlands would be the next on the list and the Mountain would come in third.  Just an FYI. </span>

<span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>Thanks,</span>

todd