Howling Avid Elixir XO rear Brake

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

To quiet this noise you must install hard rubber washers in 4 places on the caliper, when you take off the caliper these places will be obvious, the idea is to put a vibration damper between all metal to metal contacts. Washers cut 2-3mm thick from Goodyear 1/4 inch fuel injection hose (Napa). Pad the rear of the avid brake pads with rubber PVC tape, also put a strip of this tape between the caliper mount and the frame mount. Replace the Magura brake disc (has about 105 2-3mm holes around the outside diameter of the disc) with an Avid disc (Has 13mm elongated holes).

How about just servicing the caliper, making sure that both pistons are working correctly and that the caliper is properly aligned to the rotor. Then clean the rotor with 400gt sand paper to remove any glazing that may have occurred over time. If your putting new pads, proper beading will be a must.. If your saving old pads measure them to make sure they haven’t worn to a taper.

Or buy Shimanos

"fleetwood" wrote

Or buy Shimanos

This.

I have to agree with Syd.
      A little TLC occasionally on the brakes goes a long way toward making them function like brand new every time you ride. Sandpaper on the pads and fine steel wool on the rotor slicks things up and makes them less noisy. Be careful not to put anything on the pads that will contaminate them. Just make sure to hit the brakes a few times and get them bedded before you take off down the trail.

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="fleetwood":131xr941]Or buy Shimanos

This.[/quote:131xr941]
      I gave up having to do so much work between every ride to keep them quite and broke down and bought XT’s and have been happy since. Even the Avid employees gave up trying to help me quite their brakes down- they were cool as hell, but it never worked more than a ride or two and usually not that long. SLX will save you money and are just as good. It hurts to spend that much money to replace your already high end brakes that should work, but listening to the squeling takes the fun out of riding!

I have Elixirs (X0 & R SL) on my bikes and haven’t had a single issue with them. It could get noisy after pads being contaminated. Pads replacing and aligning brakes will fix it. Don’t waste money on sintered – the best bet is organic, which last long enough and bite much better.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.