How you end up buying your first MTB?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Greetings fellow MTBikers,

I am one of those cyclists who was active a long time ago & looking to get back to regular riding once again. Back when I was happily exploring the world on my BMX (gosh its at least 20 years already!), I recalled that bikes were without any suspension on their forks & stopped by having their rims squeezed by 2 rubber pads!

So you guys can imagine the bewilderment that I got when I started looking at potential MTBs to jumpstart my riding comeback 😮

And so I ended up here, looking forward to learning from your valuable experience in getting myself a suitable bike. Here is the deal:

I want to get back to regular riding, at least weekly. For my first hardtail, I will get an entry level one. On my shortlist are: Diamondback Response Sport, GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc, Jamis Trail X3 & Merida Matts 20-MD.

My view is that this first bike will get me back into riding & familiarize me with basic mechanical workings. As I get better & know what I want in a better bike, I can then pass this first bike to my wife so that she can go ride with me! And of course, I would have a shiny new & better ride then!

So for my selfish little plan, what would you guys advise? BTW, do I need to pay attention to different suspension fork, eg. 80mm, 100mm, 120mm? Does it matter at this entry level?

Thanks alot people. Enjoy your ride!

Welcome back and good hunting!

Of the 4 bikes mentioned I personally like the Jamis – better components and I think a slightly better fork. I’m not very familiar with the Merida line so I can’t speak for their durability. GT and Jamis are rock solid and Diamondback has been making a bit of a comeback if you will. BTW – If you do go with the Merida, the Orange is HOT!

I would be leary of an entry level bike with more than 100mm of suspension. If you’re just getting into the sport you’re not going to be taking big hits for a while and 100m should be more than enough. Now when you pawn off your old beat up frame to your wife ( 😆 ) then you should start looking full suspension and more travel. This all depends, of course, on where you live and what type of trails you’ll be riding.

How you end up buying your first MTB?

In early 1984, I was a semi-serious "ROAD" touring cyclist, working a crappy production control clerk factory job. I’d really had it with the job and a aquataince was going to open a bicycle shop. I talked him into hiring me as a "Huffy Buster", (yep, I worked on the junk bikes), I saw my first MTB and that was it, sold the Univega Specilismua and bought a entry level Raleigh MTB, did my first NORBA Novice Race in 85 with the boss and my son.

Saved up all my pennies and got a top of the line "Raleigh Mt. Crested Butte MTB, LOL, all we had were "Ridged’s", I mean the "U-Fork and cantiliver brakes" were "high tech back then 😉 I had the most FUN on a bicycle I ever had, sadly the shop closed down, (messy divorce) but my first love is still MTB’s! Although being a "OLD" guy, I have to admit that these, Full Squishers, REALLY need a motor added to look right, I mean, my old 250 Can-AM dual purpose motorcycle (trail bike) didn’t have as good of a suspension set up as a lot of these DH, FR, Jump bicycles do 😮

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.