How would you tell bikes apart?

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

I am admittedly new to the entire MT Bike world.

I own a bike that is mostly Trek EX6. I selected the bike because I could get the frame from a person who was building a carbon bike from the original components, and the price was right.

I built it from parts, new and used, that I obtained from about a hundred sources. I have read everything I can get my hands on.

But I really don’t know what my bike is. Is it an XC bike, a mountain only bike, etc.

I, of course, understand hardtail and full suspension. I think I could identify a DH only bike, and 29ers are sorta self-defining (although I presume there are sub-categories of 29ers as well) but from there, I’m lost. I was embarrassed yesterday because someone kinda snickered and asked me why I had put a downhill bar (Titec El Norte) on my bike. I put it on because I needed a handlebar and that one looked to be well made and it had a really nice white finish — I had no idea there were even such things as downhill only bars.

Would someone give me a quick basic idea how I would walk into a bike shop, say in Boulder, CO or some other bike saavy place, and be able to tell what type of bike I am looking at (and more importantly, how to tell them what kind of bike I have)?

I hate being a dummy.

If you visit a bikeshop, just tell him you own a EX6 😉

I guess Trai Bike describes it best

Here’s a rough guide, but many bikes tend to be category-defying:

4 or less inches of suspension = Cross Country
      5 inches = Trail
      6 inches = All mountain
      7 inches = Freeride
      8+ inches = Downhill

But the issue is, many times it isn’t the bike, it’s how you choose to ride it. If I was you, I wouldn’t worry too much about categories. They’re constantly changing too….

Funny thing is that the first DH bikes had 4 and a bit inches of travel….Todays standards a very different….If you all have a chance take a peek at what Johnny T was using back in the 90ies for a DH bike… Kinda neat to see the evolution of that.

Here is your bike:
      http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mo … y/6_series

Trek considers it ‘Cross Country’

"maddslacker" wrote

Here is your bike:
      http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mo … y/6_series

Trek considers it ‘Cross Country’

He has a Fuel Ex 6, not a 6 Series

😆

Clearly what Trek needs is a few more models to choose from.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mo … uel_ex_6/#

Their new HP sucks anyway 😉

I’ve never been much of a Trek fan, and then I have a friend who is so rabidly pro-Trek that it really turned me off to them, just because I would never want to give him the satisfaction.

"maddslacker" wrote

I’ve never been much of a Trek fan, and then I have a friend who is so rabidly pro-Trek that it really turned me off to them, just because I would never want to give him the satisfaction.

What to say, having two Treks in the garage 😆

Anyway, for OP, your bike is basically a ‘Trail’ bike. I thought there was a post here explaining the different bike models but I can’t seem to find it now.

"maddslacker" wrote

Anyway, for OP, your bike is basically a ‘Trail’ bike. I thought there was a post here explaining the different bike models but I can’t seem to find it now.

Prolly this one here

"ollysj" wrote

If you visit a bikeshop, just tell him you own a EX6 😉

I guess Trai Bike describes it best

I guess I was thinking of this post:
      viewtopic.php?f=81&t=2034

"maddslacker" wrote

When I demoed the $7400 Trek 9.9 a 18 months ago it was an amazing machine. Very light, precise and climbing was stellar, first bike I really though beat my Turner. However if I’d put another $4200 into the parts on my Turner it would be a fair test. That said it’s an awesome bike and I’m not shopping. The Trek is 6 pounds lighter and at 57 that’s slowly becoming more of an issue.
      Some day I’ll try it next to the top Turner Flux, my Burner is 6 years old so technology has changed a lot.
      Another great bike in the test was the Moots Gristle, a 96er.

The way to tell bikes apart is ride everything. Carbon, steel, aluminum and the alloys, ti. I was surprised how much dampening ti has. On a group ride try a few other riders bikes for a few minutes and find what feels great. Next ones I wanna try are the 29er carbon hard tails coming out, light and fast but will my old back like it?

First off we’ve ALL been newbs at one time. If some dork calls out stupid stuff like you using a downhill bar for your cross country bike then he’s the first person you need to ignore.

He’s also the exception, mtn bikers are a good group of people and want more people in the sport so we have more people to help with trail maintenance and the like. It’s counterproductive to make someone feel stupid because they don’t know details like that.

Besides, other than the really high end stuff, a lot of those parts are the same identical thing just with a different label.

Like another poster said, ask at your local bike shop (LBS), if they’re a good shop they’ll help you with those questions and NOT make you feel stupid. If you don’t feel like your being treated right, find another shop. I did. I go 5 miles farther because I get much better service.

Also, this is a great site for biking information http://www.sheldonbrown.com/, he’s passed away, but he’s got great info there.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

But the issue is, many times it isn’t the bike, it’s how you choose to ride it. If I was you, I wouldn’t worry too much about categories. They’re constantly changing too….

Agreed. How you ride the bike is more important than the bike itself.

Hell, you could ride DH on a road bike if you wanted. . . no guarantees on your safety or well being, but you could definitely do it. . . 😆

My Kona has a sticker that says "All Mountain Aluminum" on the frame, but I’ve been riding on pavement and XC races…. 😄

Doesn’t that void the warranty AND violate Federal Law? Hope so! lol 😄 Later,

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.