How to tell when you need to "retire" a tire ?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum How to tell when you need to "retire" a tire ?

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Just wondering how everyone judges when to replace tire ? How far do you run the tread ?

By the boot straps of my wallet,hahahaha.If I could put fresh tire’s on my bike every other ride,I would.Then I would give my fractionally used tires to somone who could use them,hahahahaahaha.
      Back to reality though,I will usually replace them when the knobby’s are about 3/4’s worn down,or if I’ve been riding the really technical stuff that rip’s up the side knobby’s,will replace a little sooner.

about the same as steve. i will wait till the center knobs/ tire lugs are about 1/2 to 3/4 way gone. thats when i start slipping on regular surace dirt trying to go uphill. Or when the side knobs are worn down, but mine are usually peeling off before that happens. They get torn or cut up on technical stuff, tire takes a beating. This is also considering when its a tire that has a good tread pattern and rubber compound. If i had my choice it would be every ride that i go one i have new tires, but thats not the case, so lets be real.

I wait until I’m noticeably losing traction and then time it with a sale.

I have to say though that WTB Velociraptors last really really well.

"maddslacker" wrote

I have to say though that WTB Velociraptors last really really well.

Good to hear. I just starting running those about about a month ago. 😃

i’ve been rolling on mine for six months now and cant even tell a difference in the perfomance. have put about 500 miles on em

i’ve been rolling on mine for six months now and cant even tell a difference in the perfomance. have put about 500 miles on em

Hey Spaz,how much have the knobby’s worn so far after 500 miles?I got a couple or three velociraptors but havent really had a chance to ride em week in and week out.

Hi Guys…If your wondering when I change mine…I would change them when the edges are worn out…I find that I loose a tremendous amount of traction when that happens…Which would roughly be about half tire tread….But the funny thing is that at that point the tire is faster on the semi hard stuff…Just not in the corners…Ya know what I mean.

"steve32300" wrote

Hey Spaz,how much have the knobby’s worn so far after 500 miles?I got a couple or three velociraptors but havent really had a chance to ride em week in and week out.

i was talking about the rear one just to clarify (the front takes twice as long to wear for me). I would say less than half way. more than half the knob is there. however i did notice today during my ride, some of the side knobs are starting to "peel" off. so it actually wont be much longer till i get a new tire for the back (cornering is more of an issue to me). but i will more than likely stick with the same tire. it does awesome. the middle tread has worn faster than the sides of course, but i never have a problem with traction. I think that the shear weight of myself makes the tire dig whether it likes it or not.

I definitely recommend replacing a MTB tire before it gets to this point:

haha trek. thats exactly what i am referring to when i say"peeling off".

Hahahaaha,did’nt you use that pic in an older post Trek??hahahahaha

"trek7k" wrote

Nice! My Panaracer Dart is getting close to that, I just ordered a set of WTBs since I just recently dusted off my bike.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.