How to shave weight off my porker

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I have an old Cannondale M400 bike that is adequate as a suburban recreational bike. It rides well, and I like the upright position its geometry provides.

But I have issue with the weight. I didn’t weigh it, but compared to riding my 1994 Kona Lava Dome, it feels like a clunker. The Kona is so much lighter and quicker than the Cannondale, although both have rigid forks.

I don’t want to sell the Cannondale because I like the upright position for leisurely rides. However, I do want to lighten it. I won’t use it for serious off-road riding. It will probably be used for paved trails or the occasional hard pack.

Any suggestions on how to lighten this bike? It has IRC Piranha Pro tires, all STX front and rear derailleurs, rapidfire shifters, Alivio cantilever brakes. Not sure what the crankset is, but probably STX.

I’m thinking lighter wheels, lighter tires (I’ll be putting slicks on it). I could take off the Cannondale rack, but it really belongs on there I think. How about the stem, handlebars, crankset?

Here is a pic. Thanks for your input.

First, I would lose that seat and seat post, and swap for a lighter seat and a non-suspension seatpost. Easton EA30 seatposts can be had for CHEAP online, and they’re decently light. MUCH lighter than that (probably steel) suspension post.

Next, put some slick tires on it for street use. You save a little weight, but most importantly, you’ll lose a lot of rolling resistance. Slicks can also be had online for very cheap. That’s all I’d do if I were you.

You could do all of that for under $100 EASILY, and that would get you a nice seat.

When I converted my Rockhopper to a commuter, I got Bontrager Comfort Hardcase tires.

I bought them used for $20 for the pair, and am on my third season on them with no issues, and very very little wear.

They are very light, have excellent puncture protection and can run at 80psi for low rolling resistance.

These and the seat post / saddle previously suggested would give you an excellent ride on paved or packed gravel bike paths.

Thanks for the info. 😃

A second on that seat and seat post!

Another option is to convert to a 1×8. You loose the front shifter, derailleur and some cable. Should be fine for commuting or riding around town. You might want to add one of those plastic chain keepers that go around the seat tube. They are < $10.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.