How to keep build stamina during winter months???

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hi guys. I just recently got back into mountain biking. I am 31 and haven’t rode a bike since I was 16 years old. So I picked up a Trek Fuel EX5 and have been loving every minute of it other than the gaining stamina doesn’t seem to be a thing for me yet. I still get tired the same as I did back in August when I picked the bike up. So, the first part to my question is how do you guys keep stamina up during the winter months? I live in the mid west (Indiana) and it usually sucks here from December till at the very best late March.

Thanks in advance for all your help guys!

If you were to look at your speeds and times since August, you would likely notice a vast improvement(even if you don’t notice it yourself).  You’re still getting tired because you’re still pushing yourself to the same point of exhaustion. I still get as tired as I did when I first started riding, the only difference being back then I did it with a 3-6 mph pace and now I do it with a 10-12. Don’t  be discouraged at what you think is a lack of progress.

Winters have been historically bad around me as well.  For a couple years, I used a bike trainer to keep fit but found that I was exhausting the muscles I wanted to use to go riding on the few good days so now I use an elliptical machine to keep my lungs and legs  up.  It’s a different group of muscles so I can be sore from exercise and still go have a fun and enjoyable ride.

I just keep on riding! Here in Wisconsin we have a winter wonderland from late December to at least early April. If we get lucky and we have early April but sorry most trails are closed due to snow melt until mid April. My solution, to keep riding, just on pavement. Honestly biking in snow isn’t that bad. Most of the time you are going so slow that when you crash nothing really happens. To make sure you don’t mess up your actually MTB, see if you have a beater bike that you don’t really care about. Use that.

Congrats on the new bike, good one at that too.  I run a Fuel EX as well.  Here in Nebraska I have the same issue.  Schwim is 100% on, I found that to be true years ago.  I ride year around.  During winter, I suit up and slap on some boots (I ride mostly flats anyway) and just ride.  Be sure to bring plenty of water because you will sweat a lot being insulated and getting hot from working out.  I love riding in the snow.  The only issue that I run into is when it is wet, just at freezing or that mud, that won’t freeze because it isn’t under 20 degrees for like a week lol.  Guys around here run 1/2 in wood screws trough some tires and run that for snow/ice.  I have an old set of tires that I’m going to do that with this year.  I picked up a cheap Mongoose Dolomite back in February to see how I like it before I buy a nicer one.  Anxious for the power to pile up this year, love riding the fatty.

Take care,

-GT

Yep, these guys are right–keep riding! I’ve actually come to enjoy winter riding just as much as summer because there’s no limit to the amount of clothing you can put on to stay comfortable. (In summer, you are limited by the amount you can take off because of ridiculous public decency laws. 🙂 )

Trail conditions can harsh winter riding so get out on gravel roads with your MTB or consider a fat bike. Or run–I do that more in the winter because it tends to get my body temp up faster and keeps me warmer.

+1 to what everyone else said! Also, here’s a great article that John wrote on the topic: How to Stay Cycling Sharp Through the Winter

You’ve gotten good advice re: what to do during the winter. When its “regular” riding season again try mixing up your rides. Not sure if you have a running background but its similar re: building up more stamina. If you’re doing the same rides over and over and getting faster thats great but you’re probably continuing to exert the same high-end effort. To build stamina work in 1-2 longer rides per week at a more moderate tempo. Read articles on training with a HR monitor. Once you understand and implement that you can really make measurable progress. You can do that over the winter using a trainer or stationary bike at a gym and make some progress…but nothing like the real thing.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.