How to buy a mountain bike in 5 easy steps

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I find people get bogged down in the buzzwords and hype when buying a new bike and I wanted to help new riders cut through the crap, so I wrote this guide. I would love to know what you think of it in the comments.

http://www.themountainbikelife.com/2014 … steps.html

😀, Many thanks, It is very useful and nice blog. I can learn a lots after reading this, maybe your experiences will help me in work and life as well.

Very nice article with just useful info without extra load. Especially good point on geometry being most important over the rest of bell and whistles.
      Choosing right bike shop is important too.
      I disagree on one point only – to look for used bikes if budget $1000 or less. There’re so many nice hardtails under $1000 in any wheel size. Yeah, fork or components aren’t great but the frame is the same as priced over 1k. Take Rockhopper, Talon as an example. Or online stores like Bikesdirrect or Airborne Cycles – those guys have well equipped bikes even under $800.
      I bought my first bike used from Craigslist with totally wrong frame size, because I had no idea how to pick a right one and had nobody around with proper knowledge in that area. My advise is if one wants to buy his first bike used he’d (she) better do it with someone who knows how to pick a right size and geometry plus evaluate wear/tear level of that bike.

Thank you for your comments and good points. I think my pricing is off because I am in Canada…not too many bikes up here you can get retail for less that 1k that will do well on our trails. I need to remember to look outside my little world more when writing! I will edit the post with your suggestions!

"pedalhound" wrote

Thank you for your comments and good points. I think my pricing is off because I am in Canada…not too many bikes up here you can get retail for less that 1k that will do well on our trails. I need to remember to look outside my little world more when writing! I will edit the post with your suggestions!

You actually mentioned that location factor in the article: "Where I live we have all sorts of people riding just about every kind of bike on the same trails and they are all loving it and having fun because it is what works for them."
      I made a comment based on my local situation and trail conditions, from my little world 😀 Never ridden in Canada, but hard to imagine a trail where an entry level hardtail will fall apart. Unless it’s a truly downhill run. Gotta get a longer vacation for a trip up North 😀
      Again, prices could be different from area to area.
      I wish I read something similar before buying my first bike.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.