How often to do you change your psi before a ride ?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum How often to do you change your psi before a ride ?

Tagged: 

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Was curious if people lower their psi or raise in while on the trails ? or do most just preset before the trails and ride it out through the terrain differentials ?

I am a simpleton, as long as there is enough air to avoid a pinch flat I ride.

I am running my tires at 45 psi. right now,although I am a big clydesdale at 300 plbs.Been tryin different tire brands and models this summer as well so I am still lookin for that magic combonation of tire size,tire brand,tire brand model,and psi.Not to mention I havent even tried tubeless yet,could’nt even ball park what a big clydesdale like me might run in a tubeless setup,just spent $500 on a rear wheel ratchet style drive hub that would not break on me so I’ll probably be going the stans tubeless kit over the whole ust wheel and tire set up which would be eeeeexpensive.Any clydesdales out there running tubeless with some experience???

usually only change psi when i’m riding on different terrain.

ex: singletrack, min inflation (for traction). straight pavement, max inflation (or almost)(for speed and efficiency). gravel road, maybe somewhere inbetween(for a compromise).

that’s my rough guide….

I check my air before I take off everytime. 40 in the back and 35 up front. If I need to make any adjustments, I ride it through and make adjustments for the next trip.

"steve32300" wrote

I am running my tires at 45 psi. right now,although I am a big clydesdale at 300 plbs.Been tryin different tire brands and models this summer as well so I am still lookin for that magic combonation of tire size,tire brand,tire brand model,and psi.Not to mention I havent even tried tubeless yet,could’nt even ball park what a big clydesdale like me might run in a tubeless setup,just spent $500 on a rear wheel ratchet style drive hub that would not break on me so I’ll probably be going the stans tubeless kit over the whole ust wheel and tire set up which would be eeeeexpensive.Any clydesdales out there running tubeless with some experience???

i weigh in @ 280. probably the biggest you will come across on here next to you. i ran tubeless for a month back in april this year. all i can say about it is that it was horrible. i would say that after about 1 mile of twisty trail they were half flat. i thought that maybe i didnt have the bead on the rim right. so i checked it and re-mounted the tire and sealed it up really good. The next time i rode on the tubless same thing happened. i think it was the force of turn on the tire made the seal to "break" and letting small amounts of air escape. now i just stick to normal tires and tubes. i run my back at about 55 and the front at about 35 to 40 depending on if its muddy or not.

I’ve been experimenting with different pressures, but haven’t truly noticed a big difference. I understand that more pressure means better roll, less pressure means better traction. The trails I ride are really a mix of conditions — hard pack, loose, rocks, roots, logs. Anyone have recommendations for a good pressure combination? I’ve got VelociRaptors and weigh about 160 lbs.

I pretty much know what pressure I want for the front range and I check to make sure it’s there before I head out. I’m not too fussy beyond that.

Yeah, I don’t usually change my pressure during the ride unless I’m really getting beat up on a rough trail. Then again, I like to start really high (in the 55-60 psi range) because it’s much quicker and easier to come down than to go up. I also bring along a mini pump for the ride (but no pressure gauge).

Wow, all you guys and your high pressures. I run mine closer to 30 that 40…

I weigh 200 +/- with my gear…

Yeah, DH/FR is it’s own thing…but some of the above are fellow xc-ers

More pressure = more speed for XC (lower resistance). Plus high pressure greatly reduces the chance of pinch flats which is important on long backcountry rides.

"maddslacker" wrote

Wow, all you guys and your high pressures. I run mine closer to 30 that 40…

I weigh 200 +/- with my gear…

thats what i do to, always between 30 and 45 front and back

"trek7k" wrote

More pressure = more speed for XC (lower resistance). Plus high pressure greatly reduces the chance of pinch flats which is important on long backcountry rides.

Agreed, but I love the traction and grip I get, especially on fast corners. Also, my tires are 2.1"…does that make a difference over fatter models?

Yeah, tire choice definitely plays a role in pressure selection and I typically run tires with sharp, deep side knobs for the reason you mention (cornering).

In terms of climbing traction I tend to rely more on line selection and weight distribution than on the tire itself. If I can’t make it up a short steep it’s usually not because of the tread or the pressure setting – it’s because I need to improve my technique 😀

"trek7k" wrote

Yeah, tire choice definitely plays a role in pressure selection and I typically run tires with sharp, deep side knobs for the reason you mention (cornering).

In terms of climbing traction I tend to rely more on line selection and weight distribution than on the tire itself. If I can’t make it up a short steep it’s usually not because of the tread or the pressure setting – it’s because I need to improve my technique 😀

Well agreed on that…

I think it depends on the trail you’re riding to an extent, but a lot of it is personal preference too.

JDH

I start riding pretty much fully aired up then if the trail conditions require it I let air out as needed. I always figured it’s easier to let air out if I have to rather then pumping the tires up.

i only change my psi if i need to i run with 50 front and 45 in back

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.