How often should you add sealant to tubeless tires?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi all.

How often should one re-seal their tubeless tires, and is it as simple as just removing the valve core, dumping in the sealant, the dance to spread it out and re-pressurize? Or do you need to clean out the old sealant (doesn’t it add up over time?).

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thx!

"DOPEJAM" wrote

Hi all.

How often should one re-seal their tubeless tires, and is it as simple as just removing the valve core, dumping in the sealant, the dance to spread it out and re-pressurize? Or do you need to clean out the old sealant (doesn’t it add up over time?).

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thx!

Here’s some info from the Stan’s site: http://www.notubes.com/FAQ.aspx

I’m new to tubeless myself and have been adding new sealant every 2 – 3 months. I plan on taking the tires off once a year to take out the build up (but not more often than that). Make sure you get the core remover tool and the sealant injector to make the job easier.

I only do mine about 3 times a year, and I live in the dry climate of CO. Big boogers do accumulate, and you should clean them out at least once a year. I’m sure there are other opinions.

I don’t have the removable valve cores, but it’s still pretty easy. I flip the bike upsidedown, so there is nothing compressing the lowest section of tire (a bike stand does the job right side up). Then I use tire levers to break the seal all the way around the tire. Then I pull the the bead outside the rim at the low point on the tire, and pour in the sealant. I hook up the pump and hammer away until I get to ~50psi, or hear/see the beads pop into place. I ride the bike about the cul-de-sac for a couple minutes, then let the excess pressure out. Done. It takes 5-6 minutes.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.