How often do you replace your MTB tires?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Apparently I’ve had these semi-slick tires on my mountain bike for waaay too long (a few years or so). Has anyone else seen tire knobs ripped off like this? BTW, this happened all at once as far as I can tell, though I don’t know what I was doing at the time ;)

I raced motorcross for many years, never seen that!

"trek7k" wrote

Apparently I’ve had these semi-slick tires on my mountain bike for waaay too long (a few years or so). Has anyone else seen tire knobs ripped off like this? BTW, this happened all at once as far as I can tell, though I don’t know what I was doing at the time ;)

Yes I’ve seen that on 3 yr old tires on a back-up race rig, that were cracked and then guided through a granite rock garden. The knobs just sheared off..and your tires looked far worse and more cracked than mine (Pana XC Fire Pro 127tpi).

I exchange my tires twice a year for wet/mud vs dry season as I’ve yet to find a tire that does both well. Max life is about 1 Full yr in dirt and if you have to ride pavement to get to the trail heads…every 6-9 months.

Your tread actually still looks like it has a little life left (not on the sidewall of course!)

I’ve ripped off one or two knobs before riding the slickrock in Moab but never seen the extent that you have. I’d guess the rubber is dry rotting and that helped them shear right off.

I change my tires out every year but also rotate front-rear about 1/2 way thru the season. I should probably change them out more often – the granite really rips them up – but they are too expensive!

If you plan on going to Moab save an old pair. The slickrock will chew them up – I won’t ride a new set of tires out there anymore!

That tire is a little out of shape. I have never seen anything like that, I ride on a lot of gravel and rocky trails, I wish I could have a set of tires that long.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.