How many riders do you ride with?

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author

Not many of the friends I’ve kept for the last number of years are riders. I had been caught up in the daily grind of being a "grown up" for a number of years. For the last couple of years I have gotten back into an active lifestyle and am riding again. I ride alone most of the time and i do enjoy the time to myself, but I wonder if you guys got into the sport with other friends, found riding friends while on the trail, or just ride alone.

I’ve come back to MTBing after a 12 year lay off. Don’t know where everybody went over the years. I am a loner at present and having a good time. No one to drop you and no one for you to drop. I stay in a no drop zone and love it. 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

I’ve come back to MTBing after a 12 year lay off. Don’t know where everybody went over the years. I am a loner at present and having a good time. No one to drop you and no one for you to drop. I stay in a no drop zone and love it. 😄 Later,

Well said… I don’t feel like such a looser now.

For the most part I usually ride with one other. I know a handfull of people that ride, it just seems that with all the different schedules it usually turns out that one person can ride. I do like larger groups, but one seems to be the best. Then you can push each other, vs. a group which you have large variation in riding and part of the group will fall behind or pull off from the rest.

I ride solo about 90% of the time, I hooked up with another singletracks member and we started getting some rides in last year. I also ride with the owners and wrenches from my LBS which is always a blast. I must say I do enjoy the solitude of riding alone but it’s always nice to break from the norm…

Me, myself and I most of the time but I usually try to get in a ride around work & family schedules so firends aren’t available when it works for me. Have a couple of freinds I ride with maybe once a month. Now that I think of it, I haven’t been on a big group ride before. That might be fun a couple of times a year but riding solo lets me push myself and get a good workout in too.

"crossroads" wrote

Me, myself and I most of the time but I usually try to get in a ride around work & family schedules so firends aren’t available when it works for me. Have a couple of freinds I ride with maybe once a month. Now that I think of it, I haven’t been on a big group ride before. That might be fun a couple of times a year but riding solo lets me push myself and get a good workout in too.

I have a few trails on my "wish list" that I would like to ride this spring/summer that would require some travel. For this I think a small group would be great. I have been thinking about trying to get some singletracks.com members to meet up for a ride.
      Have any of you ever done that?

I hooked up with two local clubs, well, local chapters of national clubs. Riding with the same group week in and week out is a lot more fun than going solo.

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="BUDDAH":1yytzay5]I ride solo about 90% of the time, I hooked up with another singletracks member and we started getting some rides in last year. I also ride with the owners and wrenches from my LBS which is always a blast. I must say I do enjoy the solitude of riding alone but it’s always nice to break from the norm...

Yes sir, the solitude of riding alone is a wonderful thing, though I usually always ride with my son and then my wife from time to time, but riding solo is where it is at for me. Don’t get me wrong, I do ride with trail buddies (mostly singletracks members or just locals) as well, especially when having a FR or urban/street session, but I prefer the solo riding better.[/quote:1yytzay5]

Yeah my wife-boo wants to start riding more and on some more harder trails this year which I really look forward to.

I have a few trails on my "wish list" that I would like to ride this spring/summer that would require some travel. For this I think a small group would be great. I have been thinking about trying to get some singletracks.com members to meet up for a ride.
      Have any of you ever done that?

I have hooked up with a few ridiers thru this site and I am awlways trying to hook p singletrack member rides here in the springs area…

Mountain bikers never ride alone – unless you’re the only one on the trail. We’re all brothers and sisters. 😀

Cheesy sentiments aside, I really prefer to ride with others – those rides seem to be the most fun. On average I’d say I ride with 3-4 guys but during my 29 day challenge I ended up riding alone a good bit just because I had to ride at odd times of the day/week.

"trek7k" wrote

Mountain bikers never ride alone – unless you’re the only one on the trail. We’re all brothers and sisters. 😀

Cheesy sentiments aside, I really prefer to ride with others – those rides seem to be the most fun. On average I’d say I ride with 3-4 guys but during my 29 day challenge I ended up riding alone a good bit just because I had to ride at odd times of the day/week.

Ya… Cheesy, but I’m with you. So far the people I’ve met all seem to share some unspoken connection or at least respect.

"maddslacker" wrote

I hooked up with two local clubs, well, local chapters of national clubs. Riding with the same group week in and week out is a lot more fun than going solo.

Do you ride the same trails with the same group each week? Do you all stick together or do some get dropped?

If you are someone who mostly rides alone (by choice or otherwise), how far would you drive to explore a new trail and would you travel further with a friend or a group?

"trek7k" wrote

We are like Jeep people… 😆

I perfer to ride with riders that are better than me helps me push my self more than being alone. even though if everyone is busy then i will head out by my self. But we have a group of about 6 or 7 that ride every weekend together and a couple of nights a week.

"badbandit12" wrote

I perfer to ride with riders that are better than me helps me push my self more than being alone. even though if everyone is busy then i will head out by my self. But we have a group of about 6 or 7 that ride every weekend together and a couple of nights a week.

How did you hook up with these 6 or 7 guys? Local club or just friends with the same interest?

My riding is when I can get out. Sometimes it gets hard being taxi dad for 4 daughters. For this reason I ride I would say 90% by myself. However I do see many familiar faces at the trail head and on the trails. Try to get to the local club "Explore the Trails" monthly ride.

There are a few regular riders where I ride and I judge my fitness level by how quickly they drop me. Then I’m back to solo riding. 😄 Later,

"mlorenz242" wrote

[quote="badbandit12":3428662c]I perfer to ride with riders that are better than me helps me push my self more than being alone. even though if everyone is busy then i will head out by my self. But we have a group of about 6 or 7 that ride every weekend together and a couple of nights a week.

How did you hook up with these 6 or 7 guys? Local club or just friends with the same interest?[/quote:3428662c]
      I have known one of the guys for years and I dropped out of riding and racing mountain bikes in the early 90s he didn’t and made some friends racing when I started back last year started riding with them great group of guys all ways pushing me and jelping were it’s needed. Don’t think I will ever be to there level but fun to try.

It’s about 50/50 for me – I’ll send a text to a few friends to see if they can make it when I can, if not then I’ll go alone or alter my plans slightly to accommodate them. Sometimes I really like riding alone with my headphones in, but I think I prefer riding with my buddies over going alone. Also there is a nice trail about an hour drive from where I live and I’ve gone on a few trips with my friends there, I wouldn’t do that alone.

The guys I ride with are friends from highschool and from the gym, and also a couple of guys I met on the trail.

Solo most the time. I can’t seem to rely on any of my friends to actually get their miles in. Nothing but fair weather mtn bikers.

Most of the time I run solo. But i have found a lot of people at work are interested in mountain biking but don’t have the funds. So I usually offer my "loaner" old Trek to them and away we go. On Friday’s I just put the two bikes in the back of my truck and after work I usually find someone to hit the trails with.

"bpmcginty74" wrote

Most of the time I run solo. But i have found a lot of people at work are interested in mountain biking but don’t have the funds. So I usually offer my "loaner" old Trek to them and away we go. On Friday’s I just put the two bikes in the back of my truck and after work I usually find someone to hit the trails with.

That’s a great idea, I wish I had another bike. Ooo… you may have given me a justifiable reason to buy another bike.

I have three guys I ride with exclusively and then on weekends with usually end up with a large group ranging from 6 to 20 riders. I started out lone wolf style but I found that riding in groups are fun and safer. I recommend connecting with club or MTB group of some kind and the groups website will usually have forums with members asking if anyone wants to ride or join a group ride. You will become a better rider that way to… because the groups with better riders will push your limitations

"Martino0626" wrote

I have three guys I ride with exclusively and then on weekends with usually end up with a large group ranging from 6 to 20 riders. I started out lone wolf style but I found that riding in groups are fun and safer. I recommend connecting with club or MTB group of some kind and the groups website will usually have forums with members asking if anyone wants to ride or join a group ride. You will become a better rider that way to… because the groups with better riders will push your limitations

I haven’t had much luck finding local clubs in my area, has anyone out there ever started a club or been involved with one as it tried to grow its membership?

"mlorenz242" wrote

I haven’t had much luck finding local clubs in my area, has anyone out there ever started a club or been involved with one as it tried to grow its membership?

Send seenvic a personal message and ask him to weigh in on that question, he was one of the founding members of SORBA-CSRA sometime in the ’90’s I believe. The club has done a TON of good work and trail building since then. So much we had the IMBA World Summit here in 2010.

"trek7k" wrote

+1 that is totaly a true statement, I don’t think I have ever riden any trail without at some point crossing paths with another rider..

[/quote]I haven’t had much luck finding local clubs in my area, has anyone out there ever started a club or been involved with one as it tried to grow its membership?[/quote]

Where do you live?

[quote="BUDDAH":l9c5h6a3][/quote:l9c5h6a3]I haven’t had much luck finding local clubs in my area, has anyone out there ever started a club or been involved with one as it tried to grow its membership?[/quote]

Where do you live?[/quote]

Just north of Grand Rapids, MI (Greenville). We have two nice trails and I also ride in Grand Rapids.

I’ve also returned to the riding scene after being laid off due to "Adult" responsibilities. After my divorce and selling our ranch, I bought a house near the River Front Trail. I decided it was time to get back on my bike. I was surprised at how strong I still felt–I used to compete in criteriums, specialized in match sprints on the track, and road raced as well. I was ready to buy myself a new road bike when a friend invited me on a mountain bike. To make a long story short I loved it! I love being on the trails and the extra challenge of going over and down rocks and over obstacles. I’ve even done downhill at Trestle Park and loved it! Anyway–Instead of buying a new road bike I bought two mountain bikes. One for my teenage son and one for myself. My son is who I ride with. I would love to find a group to ride with as well. I’m a BIG believer in safety in numbers and I know this from experience. Last fall I decided to ride the lunch loop with my dogs when I went over the edge and broke my ankle. Even though I past several people as I was limping back to my car, not one person stopped to help me. Not even when I got to the parking lot! There was a group of guys getting ready to go on a ride when they asked if I was o.k. I told them I thought I broke my ankle and not even one person offered to help me put my bike on the rack. So….I drove myself to the hospital. Even so, I can’t wait to get back on the trails and still hope to find someone to ride with!!

It depends if there’s anyone to ride with, haha! 😃 I tend to find that most of the good friends I make are riders, as we have something in common. That, and I spend most of free time on the mountain bike.

I do ride alone a good bit, or at least I have in the past. Lately, I’ve been riding with about 1-2 other people per ride, but I have ridden with groups of over a dozen.

I ride by myself 75% of the time mtb and road. I prefer to ride with some one. got a friend that loves to ride but his schedule is differant than mine.all my other friends are to lazy. i have found that at 46 not to many people want to ride bikes. (what a shame) I could’nt imagine not wanting to go rippin down a trail or a 50 mile road ride.

I ride with 4-5 other riders twice a week. When the weather improves, we start seeing others join the gang…….all are welcome. 😃

"bikenut1" wrote

I ride by myself 75% of the time mtb and road. I prefer to ride with some one. got a friend that loves to ride but his schedule is differant than mine.all my other friends are to lazy.

Same here. Unfortunately, most of my friends are lazy and don’t do the MTB thing. My one biker friend lives 2 hours away so we try and get together every week or so for at least one ride. Trying to get in touch with some semi-local clubs to meet other riders.

When I started riding, I was doing it on my own and dragging my little bro along for the longest time and never really mentioned it to my friends. I later found out that all of my good friends either already had mountain bikes lying around not getting any use or they were extremely interested in riding. Now whenever I go on a ride I’m guaranteed to have a couple people with me (usually 3 or 4 others). I always have more fun in a group but I equally enjoy solo rides on familiar trails.

The best part is that I have my fast friends and my slow friends (my pace). So if I really want to get pushed hard, I ride with my fast friends and get a major workout. It also gives me a gauge of how much I have improved and how much faster I have become myself.

I have a lot of other drivers in my area and we schedule weekly meetings, so it’s like 50/50 for me

I usually end up riding by myself. I have a few friends who ride, but we never seem to be off work at the same time. I enjoy the solitude when I am by my self, but also enjoy the company when I ride with someone (as long as they don’t slow me down).

It seems most of us here are loners.

Viewing 36 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.