How far have you ridden?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

I rode a personal record day two days ago at the Brown County Breakdown at Brown County State Park. It isn’t nearly as far as some people, but after only riding for a year, I was not disappointed by riding 60 miles in one day on mostly singletrack. How many miles is your longest day on trails?

Pure singletrack – 50 miles, I think, maybe 55. That was 100% singletrack.

Longest period – 75 miles, mostly singletrack.

That’s pretty hard-core guys. I don’t think my backside could possibly stand 60 miles of riding in one day–even if were on a flat, smooth road! The furthest distance I’ve ridden all at once on nothing but singletrack is right around 30 miles. I’m using the term "singletrack" a little loosley here. The trail I rode that day is a National Scenic Trail in the Oregon Cascades. None of the recreation maps of the area indicate that it’s rideable; and the sign at the trailhead, although not prohibiting bikes, does warn would-be riders that it is not suitable for MTB. I just had to try, though. Needless to say, it was a gruelling ride over ridiculously rocky, steep terrain. Ironically, the thing that made such a long (for me) ride tolerable was that I was forced to be on my feet as much if not more than on the saddle.

Somewhere in the high 40’s… about 47ish. I still have yet to officially break 50. But those 47ish miles were almost all singletrack with some gravel roads thrown in and a TON of climbing.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Somewhere in the high 40’s… about 47ish. I still have yet to officially break 50. But those 47ish miles were almost all singletrack with some gravel roads thrown in and a TON of climbing.

I remember you were bummed when we didn’t quite break 50 out at Five Points earlier this year. You should definitely cross that line before the year is out, then go for 100 in 2013!

We’re doin a ride in a few weeks that’s somewhere between 75 and 80. Here in the CSRA. Keg, Mistletoe, Bartram, Modoc, Turkey, and Wine. Y’all are invited!

My longest was 30miles. It was a big trail ride with 300+ people. Everybody was caked in mud

The furthest of pure singletrack is about 30-35 miles (50-60KM)… the furthest I’ve ever ridden on a mountain bike in one shot is 156KM, which was mixed between road and trail.

I did a 24 hour race last year and put in 45 miles, half of them in the dark!

"trouttrunnell" wrote

I did a 24 hour race last year and put in 45 miles, half of them in the dark!

I was going to say 32+/- miles (Monarch Crest) but you reminded me that I also did 45 miles in a 24 hour race!

Longest ride for me was 30 miles at Cuyuna Lakes.

Most rides are about 10-14 miles.

My longest is a whopping 28 miles over 3.5 hours of singeltrack at Kingdom Trails in VT — the whole "spend a day in the saddle thing" isn’t that hugely appealing to me, but I have much respect for you all for the stamina and endurance you have!

My longest ride on ST is 50 miles. It was a race over Labor Day. Just at 6 hours of riding in 100 degree weather. Not to mention the 2 mile warm-up ride.
      I have done several 40 milers. It is whatever your body gets used to. Now, doing a 12 mile loop seems like a waiste of time. I am not saying that to be bragging but I can remember, not too long ago, when I felt like 12 miles was a good workout. Due to time restraints, I sometimes wish 12 miles was all I could physicaly do. But I am not getting the endorphine "rush" from those rides anymore. I have been using a SS in a high gear to try and get that "endorphine" rush.

Not complaining, buy like many endurance sports, the more you ride and the more miles you log, what seems like an epic today may just be a stroll in the park tommorow.

Looking at the Bull Frog in 2013 (65 miles).

"jeff" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":332rg9ta]Somewhere in the high 40’s… about 47ish. I still have yet to officially break 50. But those 47ish miles were almost all singletrack with some gravel roads thrown in and a TON of climbing.

I remember you were bummed when we didn’t quite break 50 out at Five Points earlier this year. You should definitely cross that line before the year is out, then go for 100 in 2013![/quote:332rg9ta]

I really want to break 50 soon, but it’s amazing how quickly you fall out of shape if you don’t stay on top of it. Spending more time on my butt reading and writing essays for school than I’d like to right now…

"dgaddis" wrote

We’re doin a ride in a few weeks that’s somewhere between 75 and 80. Here in the CSRA. Keg, Mistletoe, Bartram, Modoc, Turkey, and Wine. Y’all are invited!

When?

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="dgaddis":1x37j2k8]We’re doin a ride in a few weeks that’s somewhere between 75 and 80. Here in the CSRA. Keg, Mistletoe, Bartram, Modoc, Turkey, and Wine. Y’all are invited!

When?[/quote:1x37j2k8]

Nov 18th is the tentative date. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll keep you up to date as the plan developes…lots of logistics involved. Point to point ride covering a lot of terrain, so we have to arrange shuttles, food and water drops, etc. Should be fun though.

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":ylt3pai5]
      [quote="dgaddis":ylt3pai5]We’re doin a ride in a few weeks that’s somewhere between 75 and 80. Here in the CSRA. Keg, Mistletoe, Bartram, Modoc, Turkey, and Wine. Y’all are invited!

When?[/quote:ylt3pai5]

Nov 18th is the tentative date. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll keep you up to date as the plan developes…lots of logistics involved. Point to point ride covering a lot of terrain, so we have to arrange shuttles, food and water drops, etc. Should be fun though.[/quote:ylt3pai5]

Unfortunately, I’m going to be riding in Virginia that weekend. I hope you guys have fun though!

Longest, Sumter Metric Century, a mix of singletrack, gravel and pavement

Have done some long singletrack rides in the mid 30’s to very low 40’s. Having the time to do long rides is the hardest thing for me.

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.