How far have you had to walk out?

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

I was riding about two months ago when I broke my chain. I was prepared and got out the chain tool and fixed it, for it to break again three more times before I gave up and walked out. I had to walk about 4 miles to the trail head. That sucked. So how far have you had to walk out after a flat or other bike malfunction?

First time out on my new bike a crank got real loose. Was told by the shop to watch it the first couple of times. I thought I had the 15mm allen wrench in my bag. Not the case. Only time

7.5 miles is my personal best. Actually it was a friend and I who walked it together. His derailleur caught a stick and ripped off. Tried to ride it singlespeed at least 5 different times. Used all the spare links I had in my bag AND 2 powerlinks. The just chain kept breaking on him. 😢 The guy was so mad he almost just left the entire bike but I talked him out of it and walked along with him the entire way out. 😢 Couldn’t let the guy be alone AND down on himself and his ride. What are friends for? In hindsight, HE OWES ME BIG!!!!! 😼

I walked/carried my walmart mongoose back a little over a mile with a bent rear wheel and flat rear tire. Went right to the LBS and bought my Specialized 😆

Not any real long one’s but,,,,,,,this summer on red rock’s trail by red rock’s amphitheatre I decided to ride up to the amphitheatre to try and get some pic’s and soak up some summer concert atmosphere.Well,I ended up spending too much time with the hippie’s that were more than happy to have me tag along with them hiking the trail’s that surround the amphitheatre so by the time I got to heading back down the trail it was pitch dark.Some part’s of red rock’s trail is pretty smooth,but the part’s that are not smooth are full of technical rock section’s that are impossible to ride without a light at night which I did not have with me.I gave it a gallant try to try and ride without one though,it took until the second time I went over the bar’s and racked myself that I finally gave in and hike-a-biked it all the way back to my car on the other end of the trail.Made me feel good to know a trail so well that I could stay on course even without being able to see it.hahahahaha.I guess from where I started walking it was only a couple of mile’s or less but it was in the pich dark.I did make a little way’s by bike though in the pitch dark and I felt really good that I could almost remember where the rock’s were at in the trail.

Shoot! If I totaled up the amount of miles that I have had to walk it would easily be over a hundred. My personal best though was about 5.5 to 6 miles. Rear dérailleur bracket snapped into, bent the crank arms inward (hitting the rear dropouts when it would spin) and a tacoed rim on the rear. Don’t ask. So not only did I have to walk, but I also had to carry the dang thing all the way to. And all this was down here in the hot and humid south east Alabama. It sucked BIG TIME!!! I think I lost about two gallons of hydro in my body, because I weighed in when I got home. Ten pounds less than three hours before I started riding.

One time up in Breckinridge on an old jeep trail that went well above tree line I flated on a spearlike rock that went through the tire liner in which case was a freak thing because those liner’s are impossible to penitrate.Those liner’s are so fail safe that I had not had a flat at all and is the reason I had no spare tube’s or patche’s to speak of.I was by myself and just below tree line coming back down when I flated with about 4 to 5 miles of nothing but downhill the rest of the way.That rock was stuck in the tire liner so I just had to take it back to the lbs in breckenridge to show them what happened and they couldnt beleive it because those liner’s were gauranteed to be impenitrable,so they replaced my tube free of charge.I still have that rock,I hold onto it like it was an arrow head or somthing.I use it to put inside the finishline dry teflon lube as an agitater to help break up and mix in the teflon when I shake the bottle before I lube up the chain.

Ha! I [i:19l8bnjl]just [/i:19l8bnjl]had this conversation this morning with a new rider… I said it’s part of becoming a biker.

At the Fells in MA, I was about half way through the 12 mile loop when my back tire went out on a downhill. I didn’t have any spare tubes and walked back about 5 miles and fortunately came across two kind bikers who gave me a tube and helped me change it (I didn’t know how at the time).

I’m always impressed with the mutual generosity of bikers; if you see someone with a flat, help `em out and give them a spare tube. That karma will come back to you! 😀

about 6ish miles from the very end of the Modoc trail.

Long time ago.

My longest walk out was about 2 weeks ago and while it was only 1.5 miles, the broken arm I had just been given on a downhill run made the exit a bit of a bear.

So here I sit bumming ’cause I can’t ride for a few more weeks (back to the doctor tomorrow). 😢

I would agree that the broken arm makes that one extra crappy.

My longest has been around 4 miles. The ride starts at the top and ends up near the James River by way of some old logging roads on the George Washington National Forest. My girlfriend likes to ride Forest Service Roads, so down the hill we went. My treat was a piece of singletrack at the very end that had been calling my name for a while. It was huckleberry season and I ran up on a bear on the way down, just catching a black glimpse out of the corner of my eye. We got to the end, and since my girlfriend rides slower than me, she was going to start the long climb back while I rode out the singletrack for a ways.

I went down the singletrack a mile or so and it started to peter out and the going got rougher and rougher. As soon as I turned around, I felt something funny. The derailleur had snapped off of the hanger. Since I didn’t have a hanger and the derailleur was pretty much shot anyway, it was a long uphill push. Finally got back to the truck. Turns out my girlfriend had seen a grey haired old bear and then a large snake (rattler maybe, but she didn’t get close enough to confirm) as soon as I went onto the singletrack. Think she was a little mad at me for leaving her in the backwoods alone. Ordinary ride turned out to be quite an adventure for both of us.

TSD

On a local trail about 7 miles from home. Some how busted the dropout that holds the rear derailer. Bent chain, spokes, derailer and more 😃 . It was early and I didn’t have the never to wake up my wife so I called my dad. No way I wanted to walk 7 miles in bike shoes. Plus I got to buy alot of cool new parts.

I’ve been wondering if I should include this one and finally decided to just because it was a very long day and very long winded.
      I went up to ride with my buddie that live’s in fruita and we decided to go to rabbit valley and ride the western rim trail.I had been sick for about 3 week’s and was still riding but just basic stuff till I recovered from being sick.I was tired of holding back and couldnt wait anymore,I felt alright but I was not quite ready for a big ride as I would find out.The western rim is 15 mile’s out and back with a loop at the far end and I felt totally fine until we got to the end and was coming back the other way when I started to cramp bad all over,finger’s,hand’s,legs,even facial muscle’s.whewww.I couldnt ride or walk for more than 10 or 20 feet at a time and I would have to stop and recover for 5 to 10 minute’s everytime.Talk about a long time getting back to the trail head,man,it took about 4 and half hour’s for about 7 mile’s to inch my way back to the trail head.To top it all off,there are atv user trail’s out there and I never seen one of them on the way back to get a ride from.Man was that a long day.

New bike…2nd trip to the old Reddick, FL Razorback trail(on the new bike, 20-30x overall)…freak afternoon storm comes in from the Gulf – if you’re a Floridian, you know the ones – sunshine/mini-hurricane/then sun again with rediculous humidity. Now I have ridden when stuck in the rain out there before and just made the best of it.

This was no normal rain…had to have been 2-3" in less than an hour. If you’ve never ridden FL limestone when it gets really wet – it is literally like slimy, greased rock…with the same kind of fate when you fall on it as coral bottom if you were surfing and got drug on it.

When I was about 5-6mi into the loop and had enough sog, sliding down iced razor stone, when I heard a couple trees crack as the lightning hit, I was not having fun anymore…I saw Paulie(the gatemaster) riding the scooter cross trail back to the lot – I followed him out half walk/half ride. Water got in through my seat post, took about 2-3 days to dry the inside of my frame out.

That’s my only walk-out…no matter what the circumstances(barring MAJOR mechanical issues), shoring up the problem and riding out is always better!

Word Brother.
      😢

With you speaking about rain and all, made me think of an experience I had. I was riding out at Flat rock (local park with trails) one day. It started pouring like nothing else. The rain drops were so big that they’d hurt as you were riding, SLOWLY! Anyway, got to this one part of the trail where it dips real low to a lake that is in the of the park. The trail sloped really bad there to. It was so slick, I’m sideways almost. My front wheel was a good 8 or 9 inches uphill from my back wheel. I hit a root sticking up, and down I tumble to the lake. This lake has no shallow spot really, with the exception of the first foot in or so. After that, it about four or five feet deep. Yep, I was submerged in that lake. I had to wade back to my bike. Fortunately the trail rode by the parking area at that spot, so it wasen’t to bad of a walk. About a 1/4th of a mile. But my dignity was hurt though.

I have had a few walk outs that were around the 1 to 1.5 mile range that were pinch flats. Thats when I first started riding and did not carry a spare tube or patch kit. After learning that these items should be carried during a ride I also learnt to adjust my tire pressure to the terrain that I would be riding and have yet to have another pinch flat. That been about a year and a half. I am leaving for the Pisgha area tomorrow with the gang from SVMBA for the weekend and I have a list of items that I will be taking along and tubes, patch kits, and tools are at the top of the list.

My longest walkout was this summer and it was to keep my riding buddy company. He had a crash that looked terrible but he did not get hurt which was great but the bike did not fair as well as he did. This walk was about 5 miles and through one of the worst thunderstorms of the season. There was limbs and trees falling everywhere and lightening striking way to close for comfort. The rain was pouring so hard that we could not hear each other for about a half hour the it slow slightly. We were laughing about it all by the time we got back to the trail head. Something to look back on but not want to go through it again.

This walk was about 5 miles and through one of the worst thunderstorms of the season. There was limbs and trees falling everywhere and lightening striking way to close for comfort.

You got that right,lightning does suck.At the end of last summer I got cought in a storm that came in so fast I was riding to beat the devil to get back to my explorer.I was only a mile and a half or so but it wasnt smooth singletrack.I did make it back alright,although someone who was running that trail that day did not.He got hit about 3 quarter’s of a mile from the trail head right where I rode that same day.He must of hit the trail sometime after I got back and left the park.There are rememberance and warning signs of lightning on the trail now signifying that day.
      Cant explain the emotion of hearing of that news when I was just there that same day,and everytime I go by that sign I go by it bowing my head,which is quite a bit because it’s a trail I ride almost daily on after work ride’s.

Twice this year three times if you count .dragging your bike through 4 feet of snow 5-7 miles each Broke my frame in Fruita this spring
      Had a flat at Centennial Coneand carried my bike out in a snowstorm

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.