how does your job affect your riding?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Hard not to put some input here. For me my job is extremely physical besides the time ,so my efforts are pretty high to stay within one to two rides a week at this point, over 50!! I stay true riding though. Some, like the writers here get the better benefit and man what a life to wish for. Hats off to you people, because reading singletracks also makes me push myself so keep at it with good articles and info!!

My job is very relational and cognitive, and yet, I have always been a person who needs a lot of physical activity. So mountain biking is a perfect balance to my work and in many ways my sanity.  Though I enjoy riding with others, many times I need to ride solo and to get some alone time.  Also, my work affords me some flexibility in my schedule and requires that I work some evenings.  So it makes it possible for me to ride in the afternoon on some weekdays which is really nice during the short days of winter. All in all, my work and riding are quite complementary and fit together pretty seamlessly.  I certainly count myself blessed in that and know that many others do not have such an opportune lifestyle for riding.

My job is 100% sedentary: desks, conference rooms, screens, sprinkled with occasional travel to some other place with other conference rooms and screens. It is  the antithesis of what the human body was designed for, and I spend long hours doing it.

Mountain biking is my means of having activity that my means of feeding myself does not provide. It has been a major contributor to my improved health. It probably has been a major contributor to my mental well being as well.

I work in a bike shop as a mechanic. Thankfully the hours aren’t too long and I live in a great area for riding, but it can get pretty busy and it’s very easy to get burnt out on bikes when it’s your living and your hobby. I do my best to get out even when I don’t want to – it’s always worth it.

Very much.  I’ve recently retired from my active duty career and did not have the time to ride as much as many seem to get too.  There were some times that I could get away and ride some neat places, which that also was afforded from travel with work.  Now on my second career, it’s just as demanding.  This season in our family life has other priorities that make it hard to have the time to get out and ride as much as I want to.  A long time staff member on this site once inferred (after I replied to another member out of innocent “envy” for his ability to travel so much and ride) that I wasn’t making the time.  You have to have time to make the time.  Just is what it is for now anyway.

There are a lot of demanding jobs. I am definitely sympathetic to the folks who struggle to find the time.  I had a demanding career and five kids. I worked LONG hours.  My time was found because my kids grew up and I realized if I didn’t start taking care of myself I was likely to be dead very early.  I had to make a tough choice but my career is now second to my health, and downsizing the house and the kids being grown allowed me to do that. I can find another job, I can’t get another set of lungs, or heart, or time back that’s lost.

Do folks ever ride during their lunch break? For shame!

I worked in a rather sedentary position – with the only physical activity being walking down the hall to the next meeting.  However, that’s only part of the story.  In 2003 I was involved in a farm-equipment accident and nearly lost my left arm. On top of that I got Guillain-Barre syndrome.  That left me with chronic fatigue.  So not only was my job non-physical, I rarely had energy to do anything.  Before that accident I was pretty active on my bike, hiking, camping, etc.  Afterwards, not so much. I never knew when my body would say “enough.” – So in November of 2018 I started trying to bike again. First on rail trails – nice, easy and could walk back to the truck if I had.  I started to be able to push through the fatigue. So, I retired in March of 2019 at the age of 66 with the goal to ride the Vermont50 in September.  I bought a new bike, road hard and practice climbs, and biking when my brain was telling my body to stop.  In the end I made my goal and crossed the finish line. I was the last bike across the line but I was second in my division because everyone else dropped out!

In October I took on a part-time job just to keep busy and pay for my hobby. I get plenty of ride time in and enjoy it very much. No lofty goals this year – and I’m glad since COVID set me back by a few weeks. But I am riding and my current position doesn’t interfere – I work 3 days a week but only 6 hours so I get off in plenty of time to get a ride even on the days I work.  I also started last year coaching a NICA team so I get plenty of time on the bike with them as well.

I’m usually riding to my office on my bike

I have a mentally demanding job, not physical.

When riding I prefer singletrack that pushes me physically, but also I enjoy being able to “hyper-focus” on blasting down a trail as it lets me forget my mentally demanding job.

This is a late reply, but what a story Ken! Thanks for sharing it! Taking on 50 miles at age 66 is admirable to say the least, especially considering all that you have been through. Ride on dude! … Or as one elderly man exuberantly shouted back to me as he zipped away on the Colorado Trail after talking for a while … “Ride on the edge!” and down a long 3-mile descent he went! He must have been in his mid-70s! Crazy old guy! =)

Mongwolf, I have ridden with a 70+ year old bloke in Moab. The gent rides like he’s 20 years old and can, and will embarrass the majority of other riders on the trail regardless of their age. Hell, if I make it to that age…

Lenny is hella kewl peeps but the man can put a hurtin’ on a fella!

I also have an opportunity to ride on my bike everyday when I’m on my way to my job

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.