How does tire pressure affect rim strength?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Ok. Taking ride comfort, pinch flats and traction etc..etc.. completely out of this equation. WHat does tire pressure do to rim strength? In other words: Is a softer tire better for rim durability because it helps absorb impact to the rim? (Obviously if its too soft its bad..) OR…Does a stiffer tire pressure cause harm because of too much jarring to the rim?

I ask this bc I’m a clydesdale (6-2 -260 without equipment) with a somewhat "entry level" bike and devoid of ride comfort….I want to make my rear rim last as long as possible. I recently busted a spoke with rear tire pressure about 60lbs.

I need a catchy phrase at the bottom of my posts…
      Confucious say: "A bicycle can’t stand on its own because it is Two-Tired….."

I don’t know if you can automatically assume that you broke a spoke due to your weight or tire pressure. I’ve lost quite a few spokes and it’s been for a multitude of reasons.

It’s a fact that a more firm tire pressure is going to transfer shock more than a lower pressure, but depending on your riding(XC? DH?), I would find it less dependent on tire pressure and more on how you treat the bike. If you hit hard enough to wrap the rim, tire pressure isn’t going to make a huge difference in the outcome.

That being said, I’m surprised that you need 60 lbs at your weight. I would have thought you’d be 10-15 lbs less, at least. Using this guide(just keep adding 1 lb for each 10 lbs heavier), you’d be riding at 37-43 lbs, depending on your tire size.

On a scientific level,I’m sure tire preasure has an effect on rim torsions,flex and strength,although for your question it comes down to spoke tension and how evenly each spoke is tensioned from one spoke to another throughout the whole wheel.In other words,if one spoke is tensioned tighter than the rest,then that spoke will break while the rest do not break.Another scenario is that the nipple twisted the spoke while getting tensioned and over tightened that spoke.Also,if your wheels are new,new wheels will settle in while getting those first miles in,and it is relatively normal to have a spoke break on the break in period.Your gonna want to get that spoke replaced by somone who knows how to work on wheels.60 psi??Are you riding on flat trails??I’m 6’2” 300 plb and run around 35 psi in my rear tire,somtimes I’ll go higher like just under 40 psi or right at 40,but never 60 psi for trail riding.
      Before I upgraded my rear wheel,I had big problems with the pawl body breaking in the rear wheel hub,I broke 6 or 7 pawl bodys before I upgraded my rear wheel to a DT Swiss 340 hub with the ratchet style drive and the thing is absolutely solid,expensive but freakin solid.I also broke a few spokes here and there,but had them replaced and everything is good to go.

You broke a spoke because it’s a cheap wheel, not because of tire pressure or your weight. Low end machine built wheels are bad about having uneven spoken tension, which is what leads to broken spokes. If you had someone detension the wheel completely, then retension it, you probably wont break another one.

Agree that you need to drop your air pressure, that’s why the bike rides so bad. Start at 40psi and go from there. You want to go as low as you can until one of the following starts happening:

-tire squirms in the corners
      -bottoming out the rim on roots/rocks and getting pinch flats

Lower tire pressures ride more comfortably, grip WAY better, and actually roll faster offroad. Try it, you’ll be amazed at the difference.

Keep us up to date!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.