How do I know when to wear a full face helmet?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

I sometimes see these guys wearing full face helmet where I ride, though rarely, and it seems to me, from watching YouTube videos, on some trails it there is a lot of differences in the helmets people where…And what if I went to, say, Buffalo Creek, I heard it is really fast, so would I need a full face helmet? Thanks. By the way, I only have a regular helmet. 😄

CP1

It is a personal preference choice pretty much when you sum it all up… 😉 Me, the only time I ever wear a FF is when I get serious on my fast and gnarly DH & big freeriding, but besides that, it is a skid lid all the time. They are more protective (stronger that is) than regular/traditional bucket lids (bike helmets…lol), but are also a bit warmer than traditional bucket lids.

I have known a few riders here and there wear them even during more aggressive urban riding as well…not me though…just looks kinda funny… 😆

In all in all, if you really feel like you need the better all around protection for your entire head, then by all means wear a FF. Who really cares what other say or how they look at ya, it is your head, your body, not theirs. Unfortunately there is that few snooty riders that would say something or give you a funny look because you do not fit into there click per say… 😆

Wear what ya want to wear, don on what you want to don on bro!!!! 😄

I wear a FF anywhere that has super long rock gardens or big drops/jumps. I don’t want to bust my teeth on the ground or a break my smeller.

Ok, thanks.

If you think you might shatter your teeth, then wear a full face. Only you can decide when the actual point is.

Buffalo creek for example, the only trail, in my opinion, where it’d be useful would be raspberry ridge/blackjack. But even there I rode with an open face… Just WISHED I had a full face.

I am really thinking of getting a FF helmet for my five year old daughter. She really enjoys riding on her trail-a-bike. The extra protection it would provide for her will be well worth it.

"brianW" wrote

the extra protection it would provide for her will be well worth it.

Factor in the fatigue of that extra weigh though.

CP1
      "maddslacker" wrote

Factor in the fatigue of that extra weigh though.

Kinda of a moot thing pretty much here above, as the weight of most FF helmets today have been cut in half or better. Most are pretty light, and offer much more protection than non-FF, especially the run-of-the-mill cyclist helmets of today which offer hardly any noggin protection… 😆

I always highly recommend either a Pro-Tec skid lid (BMX, DJ, FR style) or a FF for kids. Totally the smart choice by far!!! Pro-Tec helmets are absolutely highly reliable, and offer awesome protection for the brain bucket… 😉

Anyways, in the long run, it is a personal choice, but a smart one though.

Kinda of a moot thing pretty much here above, as the weight of most FF helmets today have been cut in half or better. Most are pretty light, and offer much more protection than non-FF, especially the run-of-the-mill cyclist helmets of today which offer hardly any noggin protection… 😆

CP Has a good point… They are pretty light nowadays.

However, when riding here in GA my main concern is heat… But if I’m doing DH, I’m going to suck it up and wear the FF anyway. Anything else, though, and I usually run my regular lid.

Most FF helmets hover around 1000g or less…Carbon are about 800+ grams.

If you do choose one. Find one that fits well, no hot spots on the head and does not rotate when put on and buckled in. Giro has a nice slip on fit, while THE, POC and the new Bell tend to be tapered fit. The opening is slightly smaller than the head space and thus needs the rider to tug on the sides of the helmet while putting it on. I personally prefer the tapered fit as it applies nice even pressure around the whole head and does not move at all. Some brands like POC also include different sized cheek pads. While others like the new Bell Full-9, and the THE Thirty3 have the new Eject helmet removal system (in case of a major accident).

"mtbgreg1" wrote

CP Has a good point… They are pretty light nowadays.

However, when riding here in GA my main concern is heat… But if I’m doing DH, I’m going to suck it up and wear the FF anyway. Anything else, though, and I usually run my regular lid.

I’ve been wanting to wear one this winter because of the heat!

When in doubt, wear one. I use mine when at ski resorts riding pure DH, but that’s it. Bufalo Creek has too much space that does not need it to justify wearing one for just Blackjack, but like the previous guy, I sure wish I had one when I get ready to head down it. Those drops scare the Sh.. out of me. 😆

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.