how do i know if my bike is right for what I'm doing

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

So I have a Trek Mountain Track 820. Its old and I know that. Got it as a gift years ago. But after separating from my wife, I thought mountain bike riding would let me lose myself from the stress of everything, My only question as I ride on the trails is,  is the  bike I’m riding, the bike that can handle what I’m doing. Guys and girls pass me by on all these cool mountain bikes, am I killing myself on this older version of a mountain bike?

Are you breaking it?  If not,  no offense,  but conditioning is probably the limiting factor here.  Not saying a brand new bike wouldn’t make you faster,  because it probably would,  just that thats not the focus. Focus on yourself.

Started on an 820.  Heavy? Yes! But it will get the job done till you are good enough to know what you want.

It’s not about bike, but “motor”. Your bike definitely won’t last long on lift assisted downhill runs or big drops – not sturdy enough. But for everything else this is a good ride.

Last year I got a new 27.5 FS, it weighs almost 20lbs less than my old steel rigid and I am still slower and can’t ride as far as most the people on the trails. But it is a lot more fun to ride. So, no, you don’t really need a new bike. But, yes, you really need a new bike. 🙂

I appreciate all the comments about this bike will let you ride, it will, but that is an older rig with a rigid fork and v-brakes, right?  If you want something new, you can pick up a 29er hardtail for under $1k that will immediately help you bring it up a notch.  The addition of disk brakes and an air fork, plus making it tubeless with decent tires makes a world of difference! Yeah, you don’t have to be the fastest out there, but using modern equipment is not a bad thing!

It sounds like your bike may be an older heavier bike but think of it this way, if you can eventually get up in endurance and speed on that bike then when you switch to a new one it will be twice as easy 🙂

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.