How can I recover faster ?

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Hey everyone,

I just started mountain biking about 2 weeks ago, but I have been jogging and lifting weights off and on for years.. How can I recover faster after my rides ? I find myself with sore legs for sometimes 4 or 5 days…

I stretch before and after, guzzle water like crazy, and eat tons of chicken after a ride and the following days.. (protein)

What am I missing here ? Or do I just need to give it time for my legs to get up to par? I would like to go biking every other day at least .. .

what about his new muscle milk in stores? think thats appropriate? and i take a one day vitamin for energy

If you eat properly you’ll capture most of what you need. I don’t propose chowing tons of red meat though..there’s other sources of protein and creatine…like good wild salmon, nuts etc.. .
      But if you want to excel…look into the energy drinks (Cytomax) and Recovery Drinks (Endurox). They’ll give you different ratios of sugars and salts plus proteins and antioxidants for recovery and battling those free radicals bombarding your muscles. Apart from that, your IT bands may get pretty tight…doing some myofascial release by rolling your legs (Ham, Quads, IT etc) on a foam roller should help too, it will hurt like hell at first until you develop a tolerance.
      Your body is still getting acclimated..give it time. Looking for resources for this type of body stressing and training..look at the Triathlon websites…we are kings at abusing the body and getting up in the morning for more.
      Oh…and a good micro brew helps too.

One of the key things to remember is to replenish your glycogen levels in your muscles within 20-30 minutes after riding. A simple protein/energy bar, a "muscle milk" shake or similar, or one of the cytomax/endurox type drinks will accomplish that. I also suggest a multi-BCAA (branch chain amino acid) as it contains the necessary compounds (l-glutamine, lyseine, etc., etc.) to speed the muscle recovery. A daily use multi-vitamin is also a good idea in general.

So far everybody has good advice, and all of these will help you in some way or another so it’s trial and error.

I’d think about a recovery drink too, I know Clif makes Clif Shot Recovery drinks, you mix it in and your good to go. You will want to balance your intake, and this seems to help. You just have to get past the horrible taste.

With carbohydrates, protein, and amino acids to help rebuild muscle glycogen stores, and anti-oxidants (Vitamins A, C, E, and Green Tea extract) to help boost your immune system, CLIF SHOT Recovery will help you bounce back fast.

Thanks guys! I’ll give these a shot. … So far I’m leaning towards leaving one of the recovery drinks or muscle milk shakes in the truck in a cooler for when I get back, … I’ll try that out and see how it goes.. Going for another ride tonight actually..

Another simple but very important tip is REST

i’m along devins line to respond to your question.

this worked for me so you might want to try it ….
      I went for a 50 mile ride first time back on a bike since i was a teenager
      Rode a railroad grade which is downhill grade for the first half then the return trip is a constant 3% uphill grade plus ventured off to play a few times. needless to say i was cramping bad so was my friend who i thought was in better shape then me. Quick recovery method that works for me just before bed i mix 8oz of milk with 2 scoops of whey protien and double dose of glutamine and crashed into bed woke up feeling like a million bucks with very little soreness.

"EFMax" wrote

Another simple but very important tip is REST

Even more than rest, SLEEP.

Powerbar Recovery Bar works for me every time. I don’t get hungry at all after a good hard 1-2 hour ride when I have one of these within 15 minutes after a ride.

I tend to be more of a naturalist. I stay away from all of the marketed items. Occasionally I’ll purchase a Gatorade or other type of sports drink. That is just me, but I don’t have any problems with my legs either. Keeping your fluids up is important. Drink plenty of water before, during, and after your ride. If you want a concentrated sports drink try drinking pickle juice. (old high school football trick). A good way to avoid muscle pain is potassium. Try drinking orange juice on a regular basis and eating bananas. Make them part of your everyday diet, along with all the protein tips you’ve received. The best way, I found, to increase your legs endurance is to use them everyday. When you go to gym to do cardio and lift, do exercises that mimic the movements when you are biking. Instead of hitting the treadmill try using the stair-stepper or elliptical trainer. If you REALLY want to gain some leg endurance join a spinning class at your local gym. After a few sessions you’ll be a whole new person!

I have been working out for the past 4 months after a 4 year lay off. And Been riding bike for the past 4 years just to keep some kind of Cardio. I just started mountain biking like 3 months ago with a friend and after that it was all downhill. Or uphill(whatever is the better one) 😆 Im still working out hard and am always eating good and taking shakes once a day or twice if i worked out and rode bike that day. My advice would be to eat well for what you are working. when i do ride. i eat a banana right away when im done and make myself a shake and sip it slowly in about 15 min. Also dont forget lots of liquids. I drink Gatorade but a bit watered down. IMO its a bit way too sweet. I put 2/3rds gatorade and 1/3rd water. Soon tho after trial and error you will find what works good for you. Since we are all different shapes sizes and just way we are made, what works for someone might not work for the other. Hope this helps

Has anyone mentioned good ol’ 2% cow’s milk yet? I realize no one in California will touch the stuff, but last I heard it made for a pretty good recovery drink because of the protein/carb/fat in it.

Ideally, though, you want to eat a meal (ahem, real food) within 90-120 minutes of your ride. Avoid excessive amounts of high-fructose corn syrup and other highly inflammatory foods. Don’t eat trans fat. At all. Ever. Let’s see, what else? … eat more fruits and vegetables … lots of potatoes … don’t restrict calories (don’t count calories either).

You can also take a cold shower to alleviate inflammation after your ride. Make sure you’re getting the appropriate number of hours of sleep each night—not too little and not too much.

Don’t do high-intensity rides more than twice a week, but keep riding nonetheless. On days when you aren’t riding, go for regular walks or go swimming. Lift weights to avoid injury (but during the season, keep the number of SETS low). But be aware that hitting the same muscle groups with weights or plyometrics will significantly add to your fatigue load.

Hmmm, that’s about everything I can think of. Biohazard had a good point, though: It’s different for everyone. I think that depends on your stress load too. If you’re stressed, you’re going to recover slower–such is life.

"Sackattack" wrote

Has anyone mentioned good ol’ 2% cow’s milk yet? I realize no one in California will touch the stuff, but last I heard it made for a pretty good recovery drink because of the protein/carb/fat in it.

Chocolate milk (or Soymilk) afterward is great…but seems to curdle with the after ride beer.

No kidding at the 12 Hours of Humboldt last Saturday there was a Soloist whom started downing an Anchor Steam beer after each loop from lap 8 on….when asked if he was calling it quits..he said hell no, I just can’t get enough electolytes etc from all of those carb and electrolyte mixes. He ended up 3rd and completed 96miles and 18000 ft of climbing..powered by beer.

Too each his own.

Cheers

I have to say I think the best way to decrease recovery time is to consume protein and carbohydrates directly after workouts and plenty of light stretching while your muscles are still warm. Then when you get home get plenty of rest. The following day it is importain to ride or other cardio exercise in light intensity… this will improve blood flow and help reduce the soreness. Icing and ibprofen can help with reducing the damaging swelling from impacts that we all get on the trail too… hope this helps

A good milk shake is full of protein and tastes a lot better than those protein shakes. Milk, ice cream, choclate syrup (or better yet coffee syrup) throw it in a blender, enjoy! repeat if needed. 😃

I have found also the day after a long ride I need to do something short low impact let it be a walk, ride, swim.

I use beer and either pizza or burritos.

I’m not kidding… 😆

"Trek2009" wrote

Hey everyone,

I just started mountain biking about 2 weeks ago, but I have been jogging and lifting weights off and on for years.. How can I recover faster after my rides ? I find myself with sore legs for sometimes 4 or 5 days…

I stretch before and after, guzzle water like crazy, and eat tons of chicken after a ride and the following days.. (protein)

What am I missing here ? Or do I just need to give it time for my legs to get up to par? I would like to go biking every other day at least .. .

hello,

it seems you ride too often.

Sore legs could sign of heart problems, if you are above 50 years old . . .

I think the protein shakes and the supplements are great. From a nutritional standpoint, real food is always best. Your body utilizes more of the nutrients. Eating protein is obviously important, so eat a good bit of if after you ride. But, in order for your body to fully utilize that protein, eat carbs with it as well, like fruits and veggies.

With that said, I like to eat tacos…hell yeah maddslaker! Seriously, have them load it up with veggies, meat of course, but don’t forget the cilantro, peppers, avocado if they have it. You get the protein from the meat and not only do you get good carbs from the veggies, you get all the other benefits from veggies. Go to a local taco shop the food will be fresher than say Taco Bell (3 for $5.25 near the Graham Swamp Trail if anyone’s interested.) Tacos are a great blend of nutrition and don’t worry about the fat. First, you need fat to recover as well, second, your metabolism is pumped after a good ride and will burn that stuff anyway.

If you’re in a pinch, have no time, protein shakes and recovery drinks will do the trick.

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.