Honda RN-01 G-Cross Mountain Bike

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anyone else seen this bike before?

After doing some research I found it’s not manufactured anymore and that the bikes were built by Honda for their MTB race team’s exclusive use. The gear box had been a mystery for years but apparently there’s a video somewhere online that shows what’s inside (anyone have the link?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_RN-01_G-cross

I remember looking into this bike when I 1st got into mountain biking just because I was blown away by the design. I also would love to see what’s in that gear box.

Looks like Honda’s F1 engineers were underemployed that year.

Seriously though, that is one crazy rig and I’m sure with more time and development, that might have changed the face of downhill racing.

I like that alot,any rethinking of the whole derailleur system is great and the frame looks incredible.

Wicked looking ride. According to the wikipedia entry "The freewheel is not placed on the rear wheel but in the bottom bracket…" What?! That’s a crazy idea. No wonder the gear box is so big.

"soezgg" wrote

Wicked looking ride. According to the wikipedia entry "The freewheel is not placed on the rear wheel but in the bottom bracket…" What?! That’s a crazy idea. No wonder the gear box is so big.

back in the early 80’s (a little before my time) Shimano came out with a bottom bracket that had the freewheel in it, it was called a Front Freewheel System, so that technolgy isnt really new, Honda just found out a new way to use it, and bring it back to life.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.