Hightower CC and Mojo 3 / 4HD opinions please!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I would really appreciate some 1st hand feedback from any Ibis and SantaCruz owners. I am looking at the hightower CC or Mojo3 or HD4. I test rode a Yeti SB5+ and a Santa Cruz high tower back to back and was surprised at how much more compliant the back end of the hightower was on square edged hits and large roots. I am looking for a lot of supple rear end compliance because of a really jacked up lower back due to decades of riding (and crashing). On the other hand I don’t want a poor pedaling platform like in a FSR type of suspension. I haven’t been able to find/ride a mid travel Ibis yet and was looking for some feedback. The option to run 3.0’s is also a consideration.

I have a 29+ Lamere Dopamine which is like riding a lazy boy but not the best for the tight technical trails down here in Texas.

Thanks for the input!

I own a Hightower C+, so I can’t speak to the higher end CC or the Ibis.  I came from a Specialized FSR and even though the HT has more travel, it pedals like a dream compared to the FSR and is twice the beast on the descents.  In the plus set up the bike is super plush yet nimble and playful.  I ride a lot of east coast chunk and the bike is perfect for me, just pick your line and go.  This might sound like a homer comment but plus sized bikes get ripped for their extra weight and there might be some truth to it, but I’m constantly blown away by how well this bike climbs.  I recently took it on a 25 mile, 3500 feet of climbing group ride where most of the guys were on hardtails and gravel bikes and my Hightower was always near the front of the pack on the climbs and feeding dust on the downhills.  I attribute the climbing and overall pedal stroke efficiency to Santa Cruz VPP suspension, it’s amazing.  Sometimes I miss the direct pedal feedback my 29er gave me, but I wouldn’t trade it for the flickability, maneuverability or fun the 27.5+ set up gives me.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the feedback.  I agree on the “plus” tires getting a bad rap.  Not only are all of my times faster on plus bikes (27.5+ and 29+) than on hard or FS 29ers but they are more fun and I don’t feel so beat up mentally and physically after riding them.  what size tires are you running on your HT and at what pressures?

thanks

I’m running the stock 27.5 -2.8 Maxxis Rekons that came with it.  It’s a good tire that has taken a beating but I’m looking to upgrade to the 2.8 Minions because I’m looking for a little more bite in the turns.  If it’s any indication of how confident I am with the pedaling efficiency that I’m willing to increase rolling resistance even more and tack on a little more weight with the Minions.

I haven’t ridden a HT, but I can tell you about a Mojo 3 vs a Mojo 3HD.  The trade-off of a DW link vs Horst link is a bit more chatter with the small, high frequency bumps.  As far as I’m aware, you cannot get a Mojo 3 with a Fox Float X2 (I could be mistaken though).  The X2 helps with the small chatter significantly on the Mojo3 HD.  Hope that helps a bit.

@cycleguy:”I would really appreciate some 1st hand feedback from any Ibis and SantaCruz owners. I am looking for a lot of supple rear end compliance because of a really jacked up lower back due to decades of riding (and crashing). On the other hand I don’t want a poor pedaling platform like in a FSR type of suspension.”

I’m glad I am not the only one that doesn’t like FSR/Horst link suspensions. I would go with a Hightower in the plus set up to accomplish everything you are looking for. I nearly bought one of these last year as it just plain rips and exhibited no bad qualities from having a plus set up. I don’t think it matters in the least whether you get the C or CC version. I think Ibis is great too, but the Mojo 3 is my least favorite of their bikes.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.