hierarchy of components

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I am not completely sure but i believe this is the corect order of components please correct me if i am wrong and add any i missed

SHIMANO SRAM
      XTR XX1
      SAINT X01
      XT XX0
      SLX X0
      deore X1
      ALIVIO X-9
      ACERA X-7
      (another one i dont know) X-5
      TOURNEY GRIP SHIFT

Now i know shimano makes an electric derailuar and i dont know the benifits of that
      And is there a distinct winner SRAM or SHIMANO or are they comparable

DOWNHILL: Saint X01
      DH/FREERIDE: (Shimano) ZEE

RACE / PERFORMANCE: XTR X0 (XX is for 2×10) (X1 is single front)

TRAIL: XT X9
      SLX X7

RECREATION: Deore X5
      Alivio X4
      Acera

Shimano brakes follow the component levels, SRAM brakes are Avids…

This may not be completely correct but I think probably close. There are other junk components that you will not find listed as they are made and put on box store bikes. The DH and free ride specific parts are tuned for those disciplines and isn’t worth comparing to the other style of components. XTR or the SRAM equivalents are great but in my opinion you get more bang for the buck at the XT/X9 level. Shimano, as far as I know, does not market 1×10 and 2×10 systems under other labels and are simply branded as "SLX 2×10" or similar.
      As far as a winner…..it’s definitely preference. I personally find the Shimano to have a smoother feel in the actuation. Sram uses a 1:1 shifting ratio while Shimano uses 2:1. That results in the SRAM having to move the cable further. Then the Shimano uses a two lever setup (one shifts up the other down) while the SRAM uses one lever (one direction shifts up the other down). Both have two year warranties though I believe SRAM forces you to deal with a bike shop while Shimano will handle warranty claims from the purchaser. That may not be the case anymore but it was at one point.

Hope this helps.

thank you that was very helpful

I disagree slightly from both the posts above. Here’s how I would rank them:

SHIMANO / SRAM
      Di2 XTR / Nothing comparable
      XTR / XX1 & XX
      XT / X01 & X0
      SLX / X-9 & X1
      Deore / X-7
      ALIVIO / X-5

DH:
      Saint / DH-specific XX1, X01, etc.
      Zee / X-9 & X1

what is the benifit of th Di2 xtr components and are just the derauilurs electric or are other things like brakes or cranksets electric as well

"aewynn0915" wrote

what is the benifit of th Di2 xtr components and are just the derauilurs electric or are other things like brakes or cranksets electric as well

Hey man, you can read more about Di2 XTR here: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … o-di2-xtr/ and here: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … pressions/

Hope those articles answer all your questions!

thank you that is amazing

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.