Here's how NOT to handle someone after a crash

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

This dude hits HARD, fortunately he had a full face helmet and neck brace on. What’s unfortunate is how his buddies jerk him around afterward. Anyone have good tips for handling someone who may have a neck/back injury after a crash?

Just as important for that dude as wearing a helmet is to stop riding with mouthbreathers and find some people with a higher IQ. They could have killed him if he had suffered a cervical fracture.

If you have a guy that’s got a potential head injury, you try to stabilize him and only move him if his position is hindering his breathing somehow and try your best to keep them from moving on their own.  Laying them out flat is good because the ground usually makes a great backboard and stretches out the lungs, allowing for full breaths. If he’s not able to tell you what hurts and how much then you should be contacting emergency services and setting up a rally point for extraction.

In this scenario one of the guys should have secured the victim’s head in his hands while the other carefully laid him flat on the ground. It is critical that they move in unison, as the slightest head movement can cause paralysis or death. Once he is laid flat, the first guy should continue to hold his head in a stable position and not let the victim move at all. LEAVE THE HELMET ON!!!! The other guy should call 911 and ride out to meet emergency medical workers and guide them back to the victim.

WOW.. I can’t believe how they were jerking him around.  This guy could’ve been in some serious pain.  Meanwhile, they’re sitting there giggling and making jokes.. geez. Pals, indeed.

Man that dude is lucky they didn’t cause paralysis moving him around like that after smashing head first into a damn tree. That helmet and that neck roll were all the differencethat day for sure.

that is one lucky dude not to be dead.

I mean, I kinda get it. I’m from the generation where “shake it off” is considered valid medical advice. But in their zeal to prove to themselves that their buddy was ok, these guys really could have made him not ok. It’s scary stuff when someone get injured on the trail–I definitely get squeamish whenever someone gets hurt.

I am in the military and have extensive medical training so its easy to say they did the wrong thing but until you actually witness something like that and have to act on it first hand it is easy to play monday morning quarterback. Did they do the right thing…..absolutely not but what saved the guy was his equipment, we should be discussing how important it is to where the appropriate gear when out riding. Mountain Biking is only becoming more and more dangerous as equipment and trails get more advanced. People need to ensure they are not only riding within there ability but doing it as safe as possible.

I’ve been in those situations before and I’ve never continued filming while laughing hysterically and jerking the victim’s head back and forth. I didn’t need my time in the military to know that those guys are complete and utter assholes that either weren’t smart enough to understand the very obvious risks or not a decent enough group of individuals to care.

I could be wrong though. If you ride with them, I’m sure they’ll take good care of you in the event of an unforeseen accident.

Yeah, I didn’t even think about the fact that the guy didn’t even bother to stop filming. WTF?

Like jhart94949 stated, I also instruct in field life saving and care skills (on the side) which includes a multitude of things and even extraction as Schwim brought up.  Everyone here is obviously on the right track.

As Jeff stated, “shake it off”  I was brought up the same way and if you are moving yourself around, it was said that you aren’t too hurt.  Which can be true to an extent.

Either way, it’s obvious these guys aren’t too educated on what to do.  On that note, if you don’t know what to do, don’t touch me.  lol

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.