Help…..Cassette Issues

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

hello i am kinda new to the sport of mountain biking i got my trek 4500 2008 in may of this year and i have been thru 2 cassette i was just wondering if they make a stronger 8 speed cassette i know they do for the 9 speeds and what not but all the one i have seen for the 8 speed are just stamped sheet metal or thats what they seam to be made out of. the first one i happened to mushroom the gears in the bottom three rings and now i have worn out just about all the rings on the cassette shark finned em just a quick question or maybe i just need to upgrade the whole bike?? thanks

Tony B

There are plenty of upgrade parts for 8 speed. The problem seems to be that when 9 speeds came out bike shops practically stopped selling 8 speed stuff. I have an 8 speed bike as well and I have found ebay to be the best source of 8 speed parts.

two cassettes in the last 4/5 months??? 😮 😕 my one bike has close to 3,000 miles on it and shows no signs of wear.try replacing the chain too, it might help out

chilipepper, my shifting is fine xzxsandmanxzx has the prob of wearing out cassettes

I’m thinking that was meant more as an add on to your quote rather than being aimed at you. It seems a little confusing the way he wrote it though.

my bad goose,but two cassettes i shift alot but xzxsandmanxzx must be trigger happy on the shifters 😆 😆 😃

I’m thinking it may be a combo of shifting technique and possibly not replacing the chain with the cogset. If the cogset is that bad you HAVE to change the chain as well or you’re just wasting money stretching each new one you buy.

thanks guy i will keep all the tips in mind with this new one i got maybe read more into it instead of winging it

I have this cassette on my hardtail, and its 9-speed sibling on my full suspension. Both are holding up extremely well (over 1,000 miles and counting on the 8-speed one)

They’re not the lightest, but the seem to hold up well.

A good friend of mine speaks just as highly of the Sram PG-850, but I have not used one myself.

By the way, the Shimano gives you an 11-34 gear range, just like the big boys have 😃

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.