Help with wheels….

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I have a Scott Scale 970. Its all stock. The rear wheel got bent way out of whack, and the shop I bought it from set me up with a Mavic A-317, which I found out is for road bikes. I am trying to buy a set of rims, The Azonic Outlaws, but I am not sure what is compatible with my bike frame. Can I use the thru axles such as the 15 or 20mm? The 12×142? Or am I stuck with QR with the frame? I have the SR Suntour XCR forks, still. Primarily, I just want to know that the said wheels will work with my bike. I am still learning about the sizes and how it all works.

Thanks!

Most companies sell a conversion kit, so you can change axle sizes. You’ll notice a nice difference going with a bigger axel- worth the $$$.

"Gdb49" wrote

Most companies sell a conversion kit, so you can change axle sizes. You’ll notice a nice difference going with a bigger axel- worth the $$$.

So my frame and forks will accept the axle upgrade? I just dont know how all the compatibility works with everything. I’m still too new to all this. All I know is I have the skinny skewers on my front and rear right now.

He must have misunderstood your question. If your frame and fork is setup for QR9, then that’s all you can run. You will have to match the wheels to what your frame and fork will accept. He’s absolutely right that you can often purchase adapters to make a rim fit multiple configurations, but this doesn’t help you in your situation. If you got a smoking deal on some wheels that were configured for different axles, then purchasing adapters for your axle setup would help you get a nice set of wheels on the cheap. Adapters will never change what axle you can use on your bike, however.

You could upgrade your fork with one that would accept a beefier axle, but you’re stuck with the axle that you’ve got in the back.

Wow, I just looked up your bike, which is a 29er, correct? I also looked up the Mavic A-317 rims, which are 700c rims. I am amazed a bike shop would sell you those for that bike! From the Mavic catalog, they are an entry level road rim that is made for disk brakes, and left overs from 2011. It looks like the shop tried to get rid of some old inventory at your expense. I would return those and not use that shop again!

The Azonic rim is set up to handle your 9mm QR. One of the cool features the front wheel comes with is an adapter kit for bigger axles, if you ever upgrade your fork. Azonic does state you can get an adapter kit for the rear hub also, but that won’t be necessary for your Scott.

I agree with gar29. That’s really unprofessional for a shop to do.

"schwim" wrote

He must have misunderstood your question. If your frame and fork is setup for QR9, then that’s all you can run. You will have to match the wheels to what your frame and fork will accept. He’s absolutely right that you can often purchase adapters to make a rim fit multiple configurations, but this doesn’t help you in your situation. If you got a smoking deal on some wheels that were configured for different axles, then purchasing adapters for your axle setup would help you get a nice set of wheels on the cheap. Adapters will never change what axle you can use on your bike, however.

You could upgrade your fork with one that would accept a beefier axle, but you’re stuck with the axle that you’ve got in the back.

When I upgraded my rims it required a larger axle and trek had an adapter kit that allowed me to use a larger axle in the back also.

"Rocky I. Lands" wrote

[quote="Gdb49":3jms1g5m]Most companies sell a conversion kit, so you can change axle sizes. You’ll notice a nice difference going with a bigger axel- worth the $$$.

So my frame and forks will accept the axle upgrade? I just dont know how all the compatibility works with everything. I’m still too new to all this. All I know is I have the skinny skewers on my front and rear right now.[/quote:3jms1g5m]
      Go to a different LBS and they should be able to walk you through this issue, don’t let one bad place scare you off getting advice- that was an unbelievable mistake on their part. I did this on my trek and they had a conversion kit specific to my bike for the axle size change. Sorry that happened to you, hope you get your money back What city do you live in? I’m sure someone on this site can reccomend a good shop near you.

"Gdb49" wrote

[quote="schwim":1x4o9cag]He must have misunderstood your question. If your frame and fork is setup for QR9, then that’s all you can run. You will have to match the wheels to what your frame and fork will accept. He’s absolutely right that you can often purchase adapters to make a rim fit multiple configurations, but this doesn’t help you in your situation. If you got a smoking deal on some wheels that were configured for different axles, then purchasing adapters for your axle setup would help you get a nice set of wheels on the cheap. Adapters will never change what axle you can use on your bike, however.

When I upgraded my rims it required a larger axle and trek had an adapter kit that allowed me to use a larger axle in the back also.[/quote:1x4o9cag]

If you’re able to use a larger axle on a bike with QR9 dropouts, then you’ve either got replaceable dropouts, or you used a very big hammer.

[size=200:1x4o9cag]+[/size:1x4o9cag]

[size=200:1x4o9cag]=[/size:1x4o9cag]

Nice touch on the sledge! Gave me a good laugh!

With quality hubs you can get adapters QC, 9mm, 10mm, 12mm as well as adjustable spacing. And with certain bikes you can get drop out adapters as well.

What you will need to know is the offset spacing and or axle spacing 110, 135, 142,, and axle diameter.. QC 10mm, etc, etc..

The spacing you can get from the cheat sheet on your bike from the MFG or measure it. Basically between the rear drop out.. This can be tough as sometimes they are pre-stressed and will move inwards when the tire/hub assembly is removed..

You can also measure the rear shoulder of the hub to get the spacing and can be one of the most accurate ways since you won’t have the flexing attribute of the bike..

There are some good deals on complete wheel assemblies and have had good results with Island bikes.. I have several sets of wheels which I just swap out when I want to change tires for snow, wet, rocky etc..

http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR … lsets-29er

As long as the hub spacing is the same.. once the bike is dialed in (shifting and rear rotor spacing ) I can swap them with almost no adjustment.. Makes it super easy with the QC.

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.