Help with judging spring rate for situation

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I got a rear FOX Vanilla R shock. It uses a spring to counter compression right. So my deal is that I need a stiffer spring since I lose at least full inch of travel when I sit on it (that’s called the sag, correct me if I’m wrong please). I would like to fix this as much as possible. The dimensions of the shock are 7.5" x 2". My current lbs per inch rating on the spring that I have is 330. I can’t really remember the preload rating right now. My question is if there is something that can be done about this what is it. If figured that new spring that is stiffer would fix it but I can’t really make any sense of the numbers.

I have been using this to get an idea. Its a coil calculator that I found thru ironhorse’s website. Here’s the link: http://www.igorion.com/_coilspring/

If it helps get an answer here are my dimensions: 6′-3" @ 280 lbs.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah that’s what I figured. I’ve been looking at getting a 600/2.0. I found one at pricpoint. Could tell me though the 2.0 in the 600/2.0 means please?

Thanks man. I’m wanting to get right before the big trip. Also, I would rather to the upgrading myself, but I have never taken a rear bike shock off before. Could you or anyone else tell me the correct procedure for a non-air sprung shock?

Those freezing temps and 3" of snow were just the icing on top of a big F2 tornado that came through Saturday morning where I live. It absolutly demolished a church, houses and trailers, a barn, killed a bunch of live stock including horses, hundreds of trees downed, and power poles and lines were all over the place. The Ghost town trails in Salem are pretty much littered with massive pine trees now. So no one could ride around here at all. I’m surprised that no one got killed through it all.

I also meant to put in there that I don’t know how to release the pins. It looks like hex bolts holding it on but I don’t really know.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.