Help me Fork this bike

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

So I am looking to get a new fork but I am having some trouble.  First off let me say that I have a cheaper bike and I don’t want to hear the opinion of just get a new bike.  That isn’t an option right now, plus I have always liked to modify things (ie cars, trucks, jeeps, guns).  I have a GT ricochet, it has a Suntour XCM coil fork on it (the problem).  What little information I’ve gotten from suntour is that it is for a 27.5 and it is a straight steerer.  Here in lies the problem, the specs from GT say it is a Zerostacked tapered 1 1/8 – 1 1/2 head tube and that the fork is a tapered alloy steerer.  So I have no idea what to get??!?!  I do know that it has a QLoc 15mm thru axle, at least I am pretty sure thats what it is.  I have found a Rock Shox Recon Gold RL 27.5 100mm tapered 15mm for a decent price on ebay.  I just have now idea if it will fit or not.  So any one know if it will fit? Is it a decent fork or should I be looking at something else?  Thanks for any advice.

The steerer tube and thru axle specs you mentioned should work with the bike. You can always consult with your LBS just to be sure. Also make sure you can mount whatever type of brake calipers you have. I upgraded my HT from a Suntour P.O.S to a Recon and am very happy almost two years out. The Recon is a good fork that’ll really step up your game.

I agree on your purchase.  I replaced the xcm on a rockhopper last christmas with the recon silver 100mm.  Awesome fork that took about a pound and a half off the weight.  Love the fork setup.  Not sure on the config, i had a LBS purchase and install the fork all in for about $230.00.  Good luck and good call with the recon!!

I work for the SR Suntour distributor in the US.  We have a nice trade in program, basically you get 25% off of a new fork.  The most popular upgrade is to our air Raidon fork.  It’s available in pretty much any configuration (tapered/non tapered, thru/QR axle, 26/27.5/29).  The cool thing is that way you’d have an extra Qloc axle for your fork as well.  It’s similar to the Recon people have talked about here.

Shoot me an email to [email protected]

http://www.envelo.cc

I like the Sun Tour Raidon fork.  I was also going to suggest this fork to you.  It’s a good fork.   I have this on a SS bike I have.  Very happy with it. Price is right too.

Trade in program sounds good too.   I did not know about that.

At at least take a look at this fork for your bike.

*UPDATE*

So I looked again and the specs on my bike say I have a 110 boost hub. Does that mean I can’t get a 100mm fork? Or is there an adapter? I can’t find what I need now without spending an absurd amount of money. Which I don’t plan on doing.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.