Help installing rear derailleur Sram X-7

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

hello all,
      I’m having some issues installing my rear derailleur. as this is my first time installing one, I’m not sure if I should proceed or not. here is the video i plan on using as my ref once I get started:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1I0P9Mj … re=related

ok, so I took this derailleur off my iron horse and I’m putting it on my double. Right now I have it mounted on the dropout and it’s curled up tight. 1st, is it suppose to have play to the left and right? I have it tightened down as tight as possible and the derailleur still has the ability to rock back and forth about an inch.

2nd. when I put the rear wheel on, the top chainwheel of the derailleur is flat against the cassette. it will pedal but its very clanky. The entire derailleur is curled up tight and look much different from the guy’s X-9 in the video after he mounts it (his has the swing arm hanging down at its own will – before he installs the cable). I see 4 screws on the derilleur. one on the back with a long screw that faces towards the mounting hardware (not sure what this one is for), then I see the high/low screws on the top and the screw on the bottom that the cable goes into. how can I go about getting the derailleur to back off the cassette and not be so curled up before I proceed to install the cable/shifter, or is this normal until I start setting the high/low?

The sram product guides are a nightmare, i’ve tried there. any help is greatly appriceated!

thanks

Right now I have it mounted on the dropout and it’s curled up tight.

This is normal when the chain is not installed,of course I dont know if you have the chain installed or not,you said this:

2nd. when I put the rear wheel on, the top chainwheel of the derailleur is flat against the cassette. it will pedal but its very clanky. The entire derailleur is curled up tight and look much different from the guy’s X-9 in the video after he mounts it (his has the swing arm hanging down at its own will – before he installs the cable).

By saying that the derailer is curled up tight,you are telling me that the chain is not installed yet,although by saying that it will pedal is telling me that the chain is installed.Also,if you notice in the video when he is installing the derailer to the hanger the chain is not insatlled yet and the derailer is curled up,I think you are overlooking the fact that the very next sequence in the video the chain is installed and the derailer hangs down like you mention(before the cable is installed).Correct me if I am wrong,hahahaha.So,,,,I think we need to know how everything looks with the chain installed because there other factors that may be at play here like cage lengths between the previously installed derailer and the new derailer,and if you are using the same chain and the same cassette,or if you are using two different cassettes then are the teeth counts the same,are the chain stays of the two bikes the same,ect…I doubt any of this has anything to do with your scenario but could at one point or another in some circumstances.

I see 4 screws on the derilleur. one on the back with a long screw that faces towards the mounting hardware (not sure what this one is for),

This will be your b screw,this screw will adjust the top pulley away from the cassette so it will not rub.Do not use the h or l screw to adjust this.

how can I go about getting the derailleur to back off the cassette and not be so curled up before I proceed to install the cable/shifter

Make sure your cahin is installed frist,then if the pulley is still contacting the cassette,then use the b screw to adjust the pulley away from the cassette.

Let us know how you are doing……my reply box is bouncing around on me and making it a pain to to reply.Sorry if it seems I am being short with you..

steve, that wasnt short at all! Thanks for your help.

Yes the chain is on so I’m guessing I need to adjust the B screw before hooking up the cable. It’s so high now that it’s hard to get the rear wheel on. The cassette is from a different bike but is the same size as the old cassette. The derailleur was on my iron horse which was a hardtail and now I’m hooking it up to the new double which is FS.

When I get home i’ll play with the B screw and see if I can’t get it too back off some. Or should I install the cable first? I tried to take a pic on my iphone as i left the house this morning but it came out like crap.

When I get home i’ll play with the B screw and see if I can’t get it too back off some. Or should I install the cable first?

Naw,get the clearence between the pulley and the cassette first,then get that same pulley lined up with the high gear,then you’ll need the cable hooked up to shift up to the low gear to set the low screw.

Question;Are you using a new chain or are you using the one from the hard tail?Sounds like the chain might be too long if your derailer is unsprung,if you have a new chain then it will need to be cut to length.

hey steve,
      i got the entire thing hooked up and ready to start fine tuning and it wouldnt shift past 7! i dont know what the deal is. i setup the B screw to back the derailleur chainwheel off of the cassette. it’s now got a good distance from the cassette. i have the chain on the smallest chainwheel of the cassette (highest gear) and the shifter set to 8. I install the cable and the shifter shifts to 7 but doesnt really shift anything. it feels like its too tight to shift past 7 but it gets tighted the higher you go so I am at a complete loss.. any suggestions would be greatly appriceated as im trying to get this wrapped up in time to ride early sat am!

ok so i got everything working except it does not like shifting into 8 at all. also, shifting between 1-2 is virtually the same, and its very hard to get it into 1 i have to push really hard! it’s acting like a 7 speed. i cant get the H to line up at all either. should i be aligning the H with no cable installed?

only thing i can think of is it has something to do with the barrel adjuster (i havent messed with this) or the chain is too long or something. this sucks!

it’s now got a good distance from the cassette.

You dont want it out as far as it will go,you only want it as high as when it just seperates its self from the cassette.The video will tell you to adjust the top pulley till it touches the cassette and then just raise it high enough so that the pulley is not touching the cassette.

Naw,get the clearence between the pulley and the cassette first,then get that same pulley lined up with the high gear,then you’ll need the cable hooked up to shift up to the low gear to set the low screw.

I needed to edit this portion because although we needed to get the pulley off of the cassette,the b screw still needs to be set on the low gear.

I found the issue! There are two long pieces that meet in the middle where the derailleur cable attaches. I was trying to set the B screw with this not tightened. When the screw is tightened the arms extend fully at press out. I tightened the screw without the cable, set the H screw & B screw, hooked the cable back up and all is well! It was late so I called it a night but it shifted through all the gears well except it would skip from 3-5 going down sometimes. I still need to set the L screw, and B screw one more time , so I think it will be okay. Now if I only had my rear brake cable I’d be riding this weekend. 😠

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.