Help advice on which mt bike to buy, two listed

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Can anyone help, I’m looking at two mt bikes and was wondering which bike is a better deal. Thanks

2010 Trek Fuel EX 8 $2,200
      1 Frame: Alpha Red Aluminum w/ABP Race, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, magnesium EVO Link, oversized pivot bearings, replaceable derailleur hanger, 120mm travel
      2 Front Suspension: Fox 32 F-Series RL w/air spring, rebound, alloy E2 tapered steerer, 120mm
      3 Rear Suspension: Fox Float RP-2 w/proprietary Trek DRCV, Pro Pedal, rebound; 7.25×2.0"
      4 Wheels: Bontrager Select front hub, M525-L rear hub; Bontrager Duster rims
      5 Tires: Bontrager XDX, 26×2.2"
      6 Shifters: Shimano SLX
      7 Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX
      8 Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT Shadow
      9 Crank: Shimano M542 44/32/22
      10 Cassette: SRAM PG950 11-32, 9 speed
      11 Pedals: Crank Brothers Custom Candy C
      12 Saddle: Bontrager Race
      13 Seat Post: Bontrager Race, 31.6mm, 5mm offset
      14 Handlebars: Bontrager Race Riser, 40mm rise
      15 Stem: Bontrager Race Lite, 7 degree
      16 Headset: FSA NO.57E, E2, ACB sealed bearings
      17 Brakeset: Avid Elixir 5, hydraulic disc

2009 Titus MotoLite 1 reg $2,800 sale $2,100
      1 Frame: 6069 Aluminum, carbon fiber seat stay, hydro-formed chain stay
      2 Fork: Fox F120R Front Travel 4.7in (120mm)
      3 Shock: Fox RP23 Real travel 3.9 / 5in (100 / 127mm)
      4 Wheelset: Mavic Crossride
      5 Shifters: SRAM X7
      6 Front Derailleur: Shimano XT FD-M770
      7 Rear Derailleur: SRAM X7
      8 Crankset: FSA V-Drive Teeth: 22 / 32 / 44T
      9 Saddle: WTB Rocket V
      10 Cassette: SRAM PG-950, 9sp
      11 Crank Arm Length: [M] 175mm
      12 Bottom Bracket: FSA MegaExo
      13 Seatpost: Maxm AM 27
      14 Handlebar: Titus AL Handlebar Width: 26in (66cm)
      15 Stem: Maxm IS-6 Stem Length: [M] 110mm Stem Angle: 6deg
      17 Brakes: Magura Louise Brake Levers: Magura Louise
      Rotors: 160mm/160mm
      Headset: FSA Orbit X
      Head Angle: [XS] 68.75deg; [S] 69deg; [M-L] 69.25deg
      Grips: WTB
      Chain: Shimano LX CN-HG73
      Range: 11-34T
      Tires: Kenda Nevegal
      Tire Size: 26 x 2.35in
      Tubes: Presta
      Seat Collar: Non-QR
      Weight: 27lb 15oz (12672g)
      Manufacturer Warranty: 3 Years

Welcome to singletracks mmjlfarrell,how is the site treating you so far??

Looks like you got a couple of nice bikes you are looking at there,I like em both,but that looks like a good deal on that Titus with the listed components.The only thing I dont like is the 3 year limited warrenty on the Titus,where as the Trek has a lifetime warrenty on the frame.I thnk that’s the first hurdle you have to get over on deciding which bike to buy.The second hurdle is the component package,the Titus has a pretty rockin componentry package with the rp23 rear shock,whereas the Trek has production shock that is not even listed on the fox website.The forks are the same I think only the Titus has the remote lockout which is nice but not somthing that is a make or break decision,it is still relatively easy to reach down to lock or unlock while still rolling.
      I think in order to help you make a decision here,we need to find out what kind of riding you plan on doing and at what experience level are you riding at,along with what kind of abuse is your riding style going to put either of these bikes through.The Titus is a nicer bike in my opinion but with a lesser warrenty,and the Trek is a pretty decent bike with a lifetime warrenty.If we know how hard you will be riding either of these bikes,it would help to define which bike would be better for you.Things like better wheels such as the Titus have,is a hard option to pass up in my book,the better the wheel set,the better the over all package is,IMHO.Although if your not going to be riding up to the expectations of better components,it’s not really worth buying into them,so let us know dude,you got a couple of nice bikes you looking at there and I think I could be happy with either of them.Of course I’m a trail rider which both of these bikes are made for,so I could go either way myself but wouldnt want to steer you past the warrenty issue between the two.

Very very informative info, thank you. I’m a pretty good rider and use to ride quite often. Getting back into it, though I’m 56. The terrain I ride is rocky and steep. Steep meaning 1 and 2 gear and one slip you start walking. I have an old Trek 930, no rear suspension so I get beat-up on the rocks going downhill. I’m no longer at the stage (age) that I will break a frame. So sounds like the Titus.

Thanks, this is all good info. Further research. Below I believe is a better component list that I got from their web site. Most the same other than SRAM X-9 for the rear.

Fork Fox F120R
      Rear Shock Fox RP23
      Rims Mavic Crossride Disc
      Hubs Mavic Crossride
      Spokes Mavic Stainless
      Tires Kenda Nevegal
      Crank FSA Moto
      Bottom Bracket FSA Mega EXO
      Chain Shimano HG53
      Cassette SRAM 11-34
      Front Derailleur SRAM X-7
      Rear Derailleur SRAM X-9
      Shifters SRAM X-7
      Brakeset Magura Louise
      Brake Levers Magura Louise
      Handlebars Titus Riser Bar
      Stem Titus SL-6 Forged
      Headset FSA Orbit X
      Saddle WTB Rocket Comp
      Seat Post Titus Aluminum

Hey mmjlfarrell,would you mind postin up the link for those specs?I got the Titus site up but the one I see has the rear shock listed as a rp2 instead of the rp23.Maby I got last years page for some reason or somthin???

Sorry for the delay, working on the house
      http://www.titusti.com/titus09/bikes/trail_ftm.php
      Mike

The Titus bike seems like a fantastic deal for what you’re getting. Several of my riding buddies have that model and they all love them.

The Titus bike seems like a fantastic deal for what you’re getting. Several of my riding buddies have that model and they all love them.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.