Helmet question

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hi guys, this is my first post on singletracks!
      I’ve got a dilemma; I’ve been looking at getting a full-face helmet, but some of my friends seem to think it would be a stupid idea, as I mainly ride XC, but I do a little downhill and freeride.
      So, basically I need a second opinion, fullface or XC helmet?
      Thanks!

Well you have to look at it this way…How much of FR your going to do compared to XC.. If your going once or twice could you borrow from someone otherwise carting around a full face all the time when you don’t need it will be a bit much and hot.

Take your normal helmet when you ride XC and bring the Full face if you know you will be riding DH and free ride. Doing both in the same ride? Just strap the one you aren’t using onto the back of your camelback until you need it.

If you do end up with a non-FF helmet, I highly recommend the Giro Xen. I suffered a really bad crash about three years ago; I hit a berm on a downhill portion of a fire road at about 30MPH, and I wasn’t paying attention, hadn’t set up for it, and therefore went @$$ over teakettle about 20 feet out and 8 feet down, landing on my head, shoulder and left hand.

I broke my collarbone and pinky knuckle, but you know what? My head was fine! I showed my helmet to the ER doc after he had examined me and he got a concerned look on his face and examined my head again…asking me if I was sure about not having any symptoms of a concussion.

I got a new Xen and as an xc rider, I will not wear anything else.

By the way, the magic of the xen, besides the amazing cooling vents, is the extra coverage for the back of the head.

Actually, i just got my helmet today also!!! I got the Trek Vapor and its very comfortable, yet stylish!!! I just don’t know how hard styrofoam (or however u spell it) is supposed to keep ur head safe!!! However, as a great cautionary measure, I’ll wear it!!!

"jrymasz" wrote

I just don’t know how hard styrofoam (or however u spell it) is supposed to keep ur head safe!!! However, as a great cautionary measure, I’ll wear it!!!

http://www.bicycle.net/2007/giro-helmet … r-by-truck

WOW!!!! Thanks maddslacker!!! Great story!!! I guess it really does pay to wear ur helmet!!!

You’re welcome!

Between that story and my own crash, I will never wear anything but Giro.

I have to say one thing on helmets..Just because there is press that is very favourable to one helmet or another..Ultimately it has to boil down to which one fits your head the best…Not all helmets are made to the same dimension so please try all of the ones that interest you the best. Keeping in mind what it is intended to do…XC FR DH all-mountain..Venting, Comfort, Fit, finally price and lastly looks….Who cares how it looks if it don’t work ….Myh famous line to all my customers.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.