Helmet, full-face or traditional?

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

Hey, hoping people can offer some opinions. I’m thinking about getting a new helmet (nothing wrong with my old one other than it’s styling, no crashes or anything) and I’m debating the pros and cons of a full-face helmet (like the Giro Remedy or Specialized Deviant) vs a "traditional" style helmet (which is what I have now). I know that full-face are usually worn by DH riders, and I’m still relatively new to serious downhill trails and really technical singletrack, but I also have a healthy fear of dying/messing up my head.

So, would I be better off with a "traditional" helmet, or is a full-face okay (albeit probably overkill)?

If you’re going to ride DH trails or do some freeriding then I would definitely recommend the fullface. If you just ride XC then the full face would be a little cumbersome. If the trails you ride aren’t real steep and gnarly allowing you to get some serious speed with chances of crashing on rocks or into trees then you may regret spending the money on the fullface.

cjm

Why does it have to be one or the other? A full face definitely has its place. But so does a well vented XC helmet. When I rode some of the gnarlier all-mountain trails in Va I would take both with me. I would wear an XC helmet on the grunt to the top, then put on my full face for the descent. If you are going to be riding any DH you need your own full face that fits your head correctly.

Another thing is that XC lids aren’t held to as high of standard as most FF helmets. Look for the ASTM F 1952 standard among others on the helmet. A proper DH braincase can take a more aggressive impact on any part of the helmet than your standard CPSC certified helmet. If you are going to get something that interferes with your breathing, it may as well actually offer more protection.

The article below seems like it was written in 1999 and not 2009, but two of the rebuttals are outstanding.
      http://www.littermag.com/2009/which-hel … -freeride/

Thanks for the great input and information, guys. Here’s my dilemma: not to toot my own horn, but my head’s pretty valuable. My wife has MS, and I there’s a lot I have to do for her…driving, helping her around, getting her to/from work, etc. I can’t take the chance on an injury that sidelines me (then why the hell am I mountain biking…? lol), so that’s where the appeal of the FF helmet comes in.

My LBS has the Deviant in my size (I tried it on) and I liked it…I might pop down there and give it a second look tomorrow after work. I’d rather be a safe dorky-looking XC rider than an injured cool-looking XC rider. 😃

Ultimately it’s whatever you’re comfortable with. The Specialized brand that Mongoose posted is a nice one, lightweight and well ventilated. I have one myself for DH. Lightweight and comfort is the key.

I use both a FF and a regular helmet although my XC helmet is geared towards all mountain. My all mountain is the Fox flux which fits perfect for my head and does not move around and my FF is the Giro Remedy which also fits great….I will be trying out the THE INK shortly and if all goes well i will do a write up on that one.

I used to be involved in motorsports and if you speak to anyone there they all say…Better be safe than sorry…Specially when you have to stay healthy..

Cheers

cjm

If you’re really worried about concussions start with a mouthguard.
      http://www.sportsdentistry.com/concussion.html

Next you need to pay close attention to the fit of a fullface. Remember everyone’s head is different, so what works for some, won’t work for others. It doesn’t just need to fit the top of your head, but also your cheeks and the back of your skull, too. The easiest test is put on the helmet then have friend give it a solid yank in all directions and round and round. If at any point the helmet slips or moves before your head does, it’s not a proper fit. Try another brand.

If your helmet doesn’t fit in the cheekbones, in theory, the helmet could knock you silly right at the critical moment. The idea is the "chinbar" hits the ground, smashes into your cheeks and you go loopy, an instant before instinct should kick in to protect yourself. Push against the bottom of your cheekbone and realize how many nerve endings are there. I saw this theory first with mouthguards helping to keep you conscious through impact. The cheek pads should slightly smish your cheeks, and the padding should extend noticeably past the edge of you cheek bones. Here’s a picture of Danica Patrick. See how her cheeks are smished in that helmet. (Really I just like pictures of Danica Patrick.)
      http://www.reflector.com/multimedia/dyn … 43483f.jpg

As far as the the lower part of your skull, that has to do with the "rag doll effect." With an XC crash, most of your head impacts will end up above the ears. This is simply the way the human body was engineered to handle falls. When the bike stops while the body continues at about 15mph+, there is a good chance you will rag doll, which will expose all sides of your head to impact. Not to mention the larger rocks and root protruding about the tail and the DH world.

I am sure it seem like a lot of information for a helmet, but I have speech aphasia from my first concussion from downhilling about five years ago. I was fortunate enough to have two different people ensure my helmet fit correctly before the accident. For my wallets sake, I am giddy it didn’t effect my problem solving skills, because solving problems is how I make my money.

I used to be involved in motorsports

Hey element22,I work on a sprint car team,what kind of motorsports were you involved with???

Hi

I was envolved in GT2 and Grand Am. It was fun but lots of work…

I gotta say say , go with the full face. it’s always nice to have the option to try new trails when out riding, when that wasn’t the plan earlier. They have come a long way in weight, breathability and style.

Even though I do not have a nice full suspension bike or serious DH runs to fly down, I think now that I have read all the comments about FF vrs XC helmets I think I might want a FF helmet.

The safety standards is a big thing and great information given.

I think I might get a helmet and go FF . I don’t wear one at all,I know retarted. I think I will go get my head sized tell my parents what one I want and in what size and maybe a Christmas present. I will definatly need one if I get a full suspension bike like I want to and start hucking the big drop at my local trails.

IATyler,

Hey man if you’re not wearing a helmet and riding you need to at least go pick up a cheap one. It doesn’t have to be top of the line or full face but you need to wear something. Unless your Cristmas present is a "Christmas in May" don’t wait that long. I’m not trying to get in your business but we just had an article posted here where a college aged rider wrecked, fell down an embankment/cliff, and died from head injuries (no helmet). I don’t want that to be any of our fellow members.

I think I might get a helmet and go FF . I don’t wear one at all,I know retarted. I think I will go get my head sized tell my parents what one I want and in what size and maybe a Christmas present. I will definatly need one if I get a full suspension bike like I want to and start hucking the big drop at my local trails.

Dude,one of my helmets I paid $30 for from performance bicycles brand new right off the shelf.Go get one even if your not hucking the big drop or else no one will ride with you.At least any self respecting singletrack.com type people.Were all good spirited people here in mountain bike world but we all wear helmets anytime we ride.

"steve32300" wrote

Dude,one of my helmets I paid $30 for from performance bicycles brand new right off the shelf.Go get one even if your not hucking the big drop or else no one will ride with you.At least any self respecting singletrack.com type people.Were all good spirited people here in mountain bike world but we all wear helmets anytime we ride.

Great thread fellas!

I’m looking for the lightest, smallest, least cumbersome bike helmet available. Anyone have a suggestion?

Steve, what Sprint Cup Team? I race Jr, Almendinger, Skinner and quite a few others online at iRacing. Ever hear of it?

I work on a sprint car team,

Hahahahaha,you over read my post I think.I work on a sprint CAR team,not a sprint CUP team.hahahahahaha.No worrys though dude,I love to watch the sprint cup on t.v. as well.

Steve, what Sprint Cup Team? I race Jr, Almendinger, Skinner and quite a few others online at iRacing. Ever hear of it?

I’ve only heard of it,but it sounds interesting.P.M. me with some more details,I’m looking to maby get into more racing games possibly.

I’m looking for the lightest, smallest, least cumbersome bike helmet available. Anyone have a suggestion?

Bike helmets in this catagory are pretty much the same unless you look real hard or somone else knows of some,but I paid $30 for a bell bike helmet from performance bycyles and it’s pretty lite and not cumbersome.Just gets a little itchy somtimes in the heat,but any helmet will do that.

"steve32300" wrote

On my way to a LBS, went for a ride had my chain skip and biffed it at a decent clip, luckily I was on a side walk and fell into the grass, ragdolled pretty good and goobered up my left pedal. I’m perfectly fine, glad I fell to the left though cuz I would have taken out a fire hydrent on the other side.

would have taken out a fire hydrent on the other side.

Uhhhh…..that fire hydrent would of taken you out…..hahahahaha.Just after high shcool when I was about 19 or 20,I meant to run right by a fire hydrent in the snow and I think the glare from the snow made me misjudge but I smacked that damn thing right on my knee cap and it knocked me straight back about 5 feet and laid me out like someone took a baseball bat to my knee,broke the knee cap right in half,needless to say it was a tear jerker for sure,man did that hurt.
      Glad to see your getting a helmet dude,I would hate to have to go riding with you if you didnt have a helmet,that would be aiding and abedding.hahahahaha.did I spell that right???? 😳

found a pretty nice Trek helmet that was on sale for $50, didnt get it today but soon I will.

jmb667- First of all sorry about your wife ms is a bad deal and I think it’s cool you do things safer because of her condition. I race motocross and I’ve broken my jaw and nose by slamming my face on the handle bars and because I didnt have a properly fitting helmet it slipped up and left my nose and jaw exposed. Now when I mountain bike I wear a FF helmet and I dont care what people think I just feel safer. The important thing is get a helmet that fits you properly.

Hope you find the right helmet.

Had to have a root canal after falling on my face and the tooth is still loose. I wonder what xc riders hit most often, their face or their head?

if you play DH mtb, full face bike helmet is safe.

if normal mountain biking, I think normal mountain bike helmet is ok.

Viewing 21 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.