Helmet device alerts emergency contacts after crash

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

So here’s something interesting, especially for those who ride alone (which is nearly half of us according to surveys): the ICEdot. Basically it’s a device that you stick on your helmet to measure G-forces and impact. If the device senses a bad enough crash, it initiates a "coundown" on your smartphone to notify your list of emergency contacts. If you’re ok (conscious!) you can hit cancel on your phone and get back to shredding. Otherwise, hopefully help will be on its way!

Anyone think they’d use something like this?

http://www.springwise.com/health_wellbe … cts-crash/

[flash=425,350:123yioac]http://www.youtube.com/v/RZhdek7d99Y[/flash:123yioac]

I like the idea of this, but there are so many places out here with no cell service that it wouldn’t help all that much.

If it came with the helmet and I had a smartphone, I probably would.

The worse thing that could happen is I don’t have cell coverage and they won’t be alerted.
      The second best thing that could happen is I have cell coverage and they are alerted.
      The best thing that could happen is I won’t need it 😃

I wonder how often it’ll send for help when you don’t really need it? Sure, you could stop it if you saw it on your phone, but I typically put my phone on silent when I ride so I’m not interupted.

"dgaddis" wrote

I wonder how often it’ll send for help when you don’t really need it? Sure, you could stop it if you saw it on your phone, but I typically put my phone on silent when I ride so I’m not interupted.

Hopefully the g-force sensor is calibrated high enough that it would only trip during an accident.

I wonder if it’s a "one and done" sensor or if you can reset it. At $200 a pop, it could get pretty costly if it’s a one time use sensor.

Seeing as most places I ride have at least some cell service and I ride alone and I have a bad history of concussions I could see using this. It could be a life saver. I wonder if you can adjust how many Gs it takes to set it off.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.