Helmet cam?

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

How much does a good one cost? I think that would be a really neat thing to have.

I bought a FLIP camera and used a handlebar reflector mount as a base with super velcro and zip ties for mounting to an GIRO helmet for helmet cam. Cost 50 bucks and takes 60 minutes of digital video. Here is a sample of it…

<object><param></param><param></param><embed></embed></object>

$50 would be well worth it. By the way, the link didn’t work for me.

Try hitting You Tube – search alafia river mountain biking – look for videos by KingOfNazgul (me). They were done on FLIP

"Ringwraith" wrote

Try hitting You Tube – search alafia river mountain biking – look for videos by KingOfNazgul (me). They were done on FLIP

Not bad looking video for the money. By the way, where is alafia river? I’m guessing Florida?

Yep…and the video is TONS better..but gets clouded up on you tube for some reason.

I’ve been using a GoPro Helmet HERO cam for a few weeks now and I gotta say it takes great video – clear pics, great colors, etc. It took a little work to find the right height / angle to shoot but I think I have things pretty well dialed in now. The only problem is I can’t figure out how to get the shakes out of my video.

I tried tightening my helmet better and keeping my head straight and level when shooting but the video still comes out shaky. I even tried staying out of the saddle during filming and taking as much shock with my knees with little effect. I know you can mount the camera to your bike using the included hardware but I’m sure that will be even worse, especially on a hard tail bike. Anyone find a solution for keeping their helmet camera steady on the trail?

I will be working on the shaking issue when I recieve my camera and if I find a solution I’ll let you know. I was wondering if the Helmet Hero comes with any software for editing the video or if I need to purchase video editing software. If I need to purchase I would love suggestions from anyone thats got some experience. I have no idea when it comes to this arena but I am ready to start exploring. Can’t wait to get started.

Hey Trek,

I am having the same shaking problem with my camera. I noticed that GoPro has a ride hero handle bar or seat post mount for $19.99 on there website. I am going to order one and give it a try. I have watched a few movies shot the the GoPro that was mounted to the bike and the quality is better than any I have seen from the helmet view. I know that one of the videos was mounted on a bike with suspension because it was shooting directly from the back tire and you could see it taking up most of the bumps. I don’t know what it would look like on a ridged frame. I am going to upload my first video to the web today and will post the link on this site also. There no music so it can get a little boring at times but its my first attempt at this. I will get better.

Cool, I’ll be very interested to see how the bike mount works out.

To me it seems like my head should be the most stable object on my bike. The bike shocks take some of the hits, my legs take even more, and my neck absorbs the rest. Is there something I’m missing?

I also haven’t found a good battery solution for the Go Pro. I’m using the recommended rechargeables but I rarely get more than a couple minutes before the camera turns itself off. Of course this could be related to the shaking as well since the batteries are still good for another 3-4 two-minute clips after shutting off each time.

Keep me posted…

I would have believed that to be the most stable place to mount a camera also. I believe that my helmet is just bouncing around and that just exagerates the shaking in the camera. I am just not sure.

The baterries were driving me crazy when I first started using the thing also. I read on their web site that alcaline batteries lose power rapidly with a lost of jarring which this camera obviously gets. I when to an Energizer Nickel Metal Hidride rechargable batteries before I could get over a few minutes before battery lose. I have not tried one long run with the camera running the entire time. I would cut it off in certain spots to conserve. My next ride I plan to let it run until the ride is over or the batteries go dead just to see how long they will last.

My mount is on back order so it is not expected to ship until after the 4th. I will you know what happens with the shaking when I get it.

i’ve had the go pro hero camera since Christmas and i do like it. i only use it when i ride in new places. here’s a short video clip of my friend doing an endo when i visited him in Los Angeles:
      http://gallery.mac.com/jbronko1#100017
      that quality is uncompressed. when you upload it to youtube or other sites (like this clip i uploaded to ning)
      http://njmtbcrew.ning.com/video/video/s … 8:Video:46
      the clips are usually compressed so the hosting sites can save bandwidth.
      both of those clips were taken from the helmet mount. i do have the handlebar mount and i had a battery issue the only time i used it. but during that 1 minute of use, it did seem a fair amount less shaky. there’s also a ‘high vibration’ or a ‘low vibration’ setting on the camera (when you go through all the "mode" menus), and one of them works better, can’t remember which. i am going to a new place in VT next week, so i will definitely be taking some footage. regarding batteries, Lithium batteries work far, far better than alkaline and rechargeable ones. when i used lithium, it lasted for more than 2 hours and maybe even 4 hours. it makes a world of difference.

Man, that Bootleg Cannon video brought bake memories. Makes me want to go back. The bootleg is about as shaky as my videos of Little Mountain Falls Trail. If you watch the second video that I just posted there is two downhill runs that I hit 30+ on and they are fairly rough sections of trail. Roots and rocks galore. At the end of the 2nd video I am following a friend and he has not been riding long so we are going slow for my riding style but the camera is less shaky.

aabiking, where are those links? did i miss them somewhere?

I just figured that you would go to my profile and look for the video that i posted but here you go. This link will take you to the second video and you can navigate back to the first. These were my first two video attempts and they have some areas that should have been edited out so ther are some sections that are boring and slow.

http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bi … ction=view

I’ve found that helmet cameras can really vary in price and you do have to pay to get real quality, but it’s totally worth it.

I recently bought the POV.1.5 Camera, which really is the holy grail of helmet cameras and I paid £550.

But a friend of mine has the ATC5k, which is cheaper at under £150, but still really good quality.

This particular site is doing a deal at the moment as I got free memory card and goggle mount, which is always a nice bonus.

I have owned the Oregon Scientific cams and they are terrible. They are constructed well, but the video quality is awful. I have been using the GoPro and I think it’s awesome. The video quality is quite good for the type of camera it is, the mounts seem to work well with all applications. I have the bar mounts for the bike, but I have found the helmet mounts work better for me. I have some problems with camera shake, but it’s tolerable. I like that VIO POV camera-looks pretty cool. I may have to try that one day.

"rich67" wrote

I have owned the Oregon Scientific cams and they are terrible. They are constructed well, but the video quality is awful. I have been using the GoPro and I think it’s awesome. The video quality is quite good for the type of camera it is, the mounts seem to work well with all applications. I have the bar mounts for the bike, but I have found the helmet mounts work better for me. I have some problems with camera shake, but it’s tolerable. I like that VIO POV camera-looks pretty cool. I may have to try that one day.

I think you just answered my question. I was thinking of an Oregon Scientific ‘cus you can get them on eBay pretty cheap. Anybody else have experience with these???

BTW – I think I know what my REI rebate is going towards now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GIrdrPn … annel_page
      Click on "Watch in high quality". That gives you a pretty good idea of the quality of the video from the GoPro. It’s actually a lot better when not uploaded through Youtube.

Very cool….does your cam mount to the top of the helmet or to the side like the other guy in the video??

Do you have to buy the handlebar or seatpost clamp separate??

It comes with both styles of mounts-a velcro top mount for the helmet, and a side 3M clip with additional mountings. I also bought a handlebar/seatpost clamp separately (GoPro sells them also), but haven’t had too much luck with it- too much camera shake.
      That’s my video, by the way..lol

"Beaker" wrote

Very cool….does your cam mount to the top of the helmet or to the side like the other guy in the video??

Do you have to buy the handlebar or seatpost clamp separate??

The GoPro usually comes with the standard helmet mount and you can buy the seatpost/frame clamps in a separate kit. They have different cam/kits depending on activity. Honestly the clamps have a limited radius compliance for today’s high end bikes. The clamp’s surface is smooth plastic and will move with any good shock, and the pivots are difficult to cinch down to prevent cam movement (drooping), besides the securing bolts stick out too close to moving parts of the bike. We never got a useable shot with the frame mounting gadgets on several bikes. Ok for a roadie but not MTB. http://www.goprocamera.com/

The best mount for the seat is a double sided tapped Clip on cleat mount that can be adhered to the bottom of your seat. Mounting to the handle bar subjects the cam to so much vibration that the image is impaired, believe it or not mounting under the seat has less shake.
      For the $$ you can’t beat the gopro.
      Helmet mount forward: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNftNtqicD4
      Helmet mount rear facing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqv-4A1T1qM
      Double Sided taped Clip Mount under seat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhP3bedNOZs and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UTg8fbz0D8&NR=1
      GoPro will get you about 1 hour of video on a 2GB SD card. Numerous still picture options and you can electronically flip the image when you mount the cam upside down (like under the seat). You can opt out from the sound part and gain more image stability/resolution via the controls.
      Lithium AAAs last a little more than 1 hour and then caput!
      They’re a blast to capture some trails and races with.
      Only caveat..gopro doesn’t do well in low light situations and can take a bit to adjust when it is subjected to shade then direct sunlight again.
      Cheers

ATC-2000 is only £81.99. Take a look at this good action camera.

Viewing 22 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.