Hello New To This MTBing Thing

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hi there everyone, so I did a lot of research and searching before I purchased a bike.  I found something that was within my budget and a descent bike (at least I think so).  I purchased a 2017 GT ricochet.  It rides nice except for a few things and I need some advice on how to change them.  First off is the fork, it is equipped with a Suntour XCM fork.  It doesn’t have to many adjustments and seems a bit crappy.  I contacted Suntour to see if I would be eligible for their fork upgrade program and they confirmed that I would be.  So my question is A. Should I upgrade to a better Suntour fork or B. Ditch the suntour all together and purchase something else?  Second the crank seems to be acting goofy, first “gear” is useless, second “gear” all of a sudden is non existent, and third is typically the gear I use.  Id rather just make the bike a one by, but I am not sure what to get or where to start.  I’ve looked at some race face equipment that I think will be what I am looking for but again I am not totally sure.  Other than those items I like the bike, its comfy and seems to do what I want it to.  Thanks for any advice.

M

Not sure this is gonna be any help, but I got a Mongoose full suspension series D. its over a decade old and still rides good. 24 speed, when my gears are slipping or not catching i just take it into my local bike shop for a tune up. I tell them whats up and they do a gd job of adjusting the hears and doing an overall tune up. I’m looking at upgrading myself to a Surely Ice Cream Truck, but probably won’t be able to get it until the winter or Spring, $2000.00 bike.

I would say upgrading your fork is one of the first things you should do. My experiences with Suntour products were not very good, but from what I understand they do make ‘higher’ quality bike parts as well. Regardless of what fork brand you choose I’d strongly suggest getting an air sprung fork over coil, which is what you likely have now. I have found air forks to be vastly superior. They’re adjustable in several ways, lighter in weight, and can be dialed in match to your size and riding style. My first upgrade was a RockShox Recon Silver and I was very pleased with it. The Recon is a good entry level air fork for a decent price.

If I were to get a new fork what do I need to know to purchase a new one?  I know its for 27.5 and that it is a coil for, what I don’t know is it tapered and what size the “neck” is.  I sent suntour an email and he said it is a straight steering column.  Thanks

I remember @Greg reviewed one higher end Suntour fork with air spring and it didn’t sound bad. Use search bar here on website to find that review. I assume it will be cheaper to upgrade for another but better Suntour then to get another brand.

You can also go with Rockshox Recon as was previously mentioned and you won’t go wrong with it neither.

And about your drivetrain issues it does sound like cable stretched and you need to adjust derailer a lil bit. Common thing with new bikes/new cables

Straight steerer means non-tapered, which means that your steerer tube is the same diameter thru entire length. Tapered is larger bear fork crown and smaller at the top. To measure it’s size, simply take the stem off and measure it with caliper. Or just google your specific fork for this year and find specification. Also you need to know what kind of axle you running (thru axle, quick release etc.) and get compatible fork. Otherwise you’d have to find a different wheel.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.