Hello from WNC

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Greetings, I come in pieces! Just discovered the forum and signed up right away. So, I just wanted to drop a hello to all the members, and say just how awesome this site is. I’m a displaced Central Fl. refugee that has found myself searching for trails in the WNC area…I hit the jackpot when I found singletracks!!

I do have a question about the trail "difficulty" ratings. I seen where Alafia River in Brandon, Fl. is rated as a black diamond "advanced" park, and I must admit that not only have I left some skin, but scattered a few bike parts there as well. However….. Bent Creek just outside of Asheville is rated as blue "Intermediate"??? 😮

Maybe it’s just this flatlander florida boy isn’t use to those kind of high speed downhills where the singletrack is just inches away certian death.

The rating is pretty arbitrary, and tends to be based on the region… from what I’ve heard during some of my talks with locals, Bent Creek is almost entry-level compared to Pisgah! I’ve ridden Pisgah and other areas in WNC, but I haven’t been to Bent Creek yet, but it is at the top of my to-do list!

PS Welcome to the site, glad to have you aboard! 😄

DO TSALI!!!!! The best in the east. 😄 Later,

"Goo" wrote

The rating is pretty arbitrary, and tends to be based on the region

Thank you, that would explain it. Guess I’m gonna have to keep hitting Bent Creek for awhile, until I get use to this new topography. I get to be a newb all over again 😃

btw..Thanks for the welcome!

"fat_billy" wrote

DO TSALI!!!!! The best in the east. 😄 Later,

TY, Just watched one of the vids and looks like I’ll be going to Bryson City here pretty soon.

I would definitely say Bent Creek is an easier intermediate level. Easier from a technical standpoint than the vast majority of stuff at Dupont and most of those trails are even considered to be intermediate in technical difficulty. Tsali trails are probably also rated as intermediate but they are so smooth it’s closer to the beginner level of technical difficulty, IMO.

I would say that Tsali is good and worth a trip, but definitely not the best in the east, IMO. But definitely hit it up!

ive just created an account with singletracks but ive been riding trail for 2 years now and id like to find a riding partner to hit tsali with. my girlfriend rides but doesnt want to drive 2 hours to ride(hell at least shell ride with me right) so post a date of when you are going if you want and we could partner up. ride on

"cliffrider2" wrote

ive just created an account with singletracks but ive been riding trail for 2 years now and id like to find a riding partner to hit tsali with. my girlfriend rides but doesnt want to drive 2 hours to ride(hell at least shell ride with me right) so post a date of when you are going if you want and we could partner up. ride on

I’m actually going to be up there this weekend, planning a long ride at Tsali on Saturday. PM me if you’re interested in meeting up.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.