Hello from a curious beginner

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Just thought I would introduce myself and say hello. I am a 21 year old Youngstown State University music education major, and I am new to this forum.

I was a member of the boy scouts back in the day, and one of my best memories is going on the mountain biking trips the troop went on every year. It has been at least five years since I have been on one of those trips, but my girlfriend and I have recently decided to take it up again and do some biking this year. We are both very excited, and can’t wait for the weather to improve so we can start!

I have been reading the threads started by pookie, who seems to be at about the same level as me. Those threads have answered most of my questions, but I would like some input on a few other things. First, what is a good starter bike for a poor college student, and what is the best way to go about finding one? Is there any other equipment I should consider purchasing besides a helmet and a rack for my car? Lastly, is there any other important information I should know before I go on my first ride?

Thanks in advance for your comments, I look forward to being a part of this community, and getting involved in this sport.

yep welcome in here, see if you can ride as many different styles as you can before buying. Go rent one for a day and then try another one, borrow one more… ask your LBS of they know of any upcoming demo days. My first full suspension was under a grand and I wanted to really ride for a while before I jumped into an expensive set up, just to see if it was a sport I was really going to get in to.
      I dont know if you have REI back east there but I recomend them because they have a lot of bikes in the range you are looking for, most of their stores rent bikes and they have a no BS return policy. If you dont like your purchase for any reason- take it back and trade it for another one.
      and just go ride, dont get too crazy right away, just ride, youll get the hang of it. 😎

There are a few REI’s in GA – that is almost rideable for you guys down there!! Ok, not exactly, but a tad closer than CO.

I second the mention of tracking down a demo that is rolling through town. I was lucky enough to catch the Trek/Fisher VW powered demo when it was still alive about a year ago. Rode a Fisher 29er, which helped fuel my purchase of that kind of rig a few months later. Just don’t make the mistake of getting all juiced up on test rides the day before a race. I overdosed on the test rides, and a practice ride of the course on the race bike the day before, and wasn’t as quick on race day. Still had a great time though.

Good luck in your bike search.

Craigslist is an option for bikes. Many folks sell a bike after a few rides because its not for them or they need the cash. Also some bike shops sell used bikes, so that may be an option.

Since you are going to ride with your girlfriend, you may want to find another couple to ride with. Part of the ride the ladies can ride together and the guys well can be guys.

Just went out and purchased a couple of new bikes today; an iron horse warrior 1.3 for myself and a diamondback response for my lady friend. We took them out for a short ride at the park today, and we are both very pleased with them. Can’t wait for the snow to melt so we can hit the trails!

"Snydariffic" wrote

Just went out and purchased a couple of new bikes today; an iron horse warrior 1.3 for myself and a diamondback response for my lady friend. We took them out for a short ride at the park today, and we are both very pleased with them. Can’t wait for the snow to melt so we can hit the trails!

Welcome aboard.! Spring will be here before you know it. Hope you enjoy the new rides. 😀 CCR

First…welcome. As far as equipment goes, I have said it once and I will keep saying it; The only stupid piece of equipment is the equipment you do not use. Here is my list of trail must haves.
      1- Helmet.
      2- Hydration pack.
      3- Patch kit w/air pump.

Rules for the above listed equipment;
      Keep helmet clean and dry, when not in use. Replace after hard impact or every year or so, whichever comes first.
      Inside the hydration pack I keep a cliff bar or two, next to my patch kit and air pump. Nothing worse than being in the middle of a ride and having the munchies kick in. Trail rule: If you see another rider with a flat, ask if he is o.k. and if he replies that he has no patch kit, loan him yours. Patch kits are cheap but the goodwill you generate is priceless. As far as riding hints go, I offer this; Don’t let your big dog ego get your puppy ability into trouble. Research a trail first, this site is a good start. Read reviews and look at any pictures. Ask about a trail at your LBS (local bike shop), the wrenches are a good source of information as are any customers that are hanging around. There is no shame in scouting a trail first, so if the weather is too gnarley for the bikes, why don’t you and your girlfriend go and hike the trail first? You can scout the trail and get your legs ready at the same time. But the number one rule of MTB’ing, and it must be obeyed at all times is; Have fun.

Attack Life. It’s going to kill you anyway.
Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.