headset making a soft contact noise when turning?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

so today we picked up my girlfriends new bike (2012 trek 6000 wsd) and of course we took it for a test ride as soon as possible. all was well except for the fact that the stem was too low, and she felt she was leaning forward too far. the store had assembled it and put the stem on upside down becuase my girlfriend is on the smaller side and they thought it would be better at a flatter angle.

in any case, i said "no worries, i can turn the stem up the right way and that will bring it up a bit for you." so we head back and i get to work, all goes well and so far as i could tell everything was back together properly, but now when i lift the front wheel off the ground and turn the handle bars back and forth it makes a soft sound, almost like rubbing your palms together. i hadn’t lifted it up and done this before i changed it over, so i have no idea if it did this before. in any case it doesn’t sound right to me and i am concerned that i have put it back together incorrectly and something is now wearing inside the assembly. i will be taking it back to the store sheepishly tomorrow, but i am wondering if anyone here knows what this issue might be, or have any recommendations?

p.s i feel a fool right now for potentially harming my girls new bike… hhhhhnnngggggg

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.