Headset issues????

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Headset issues????

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hi all, kinda new to this and my mechanical expertise is a bit limited. Put a new smaller stem on didnt realize I needed spacers, got a few assorted sizes on order. My question though is where the headset meets the frame it seems kinda loose, and will shimmy a bit on rides. Does anyone know if this will be remedy’d when the spacers go on, or is it a loose headset that can be tightened. Keep in mind stem and spacers are within my realm of competence but looking at headset how to’s I’m a bit worried about getting in over my head.

Spacers should work but don’t ride with it loose as it will beat up your headset bearings. 😄 Later,

Thanks Billy, after some more research saw some videos on Youtube. Didnt realize that the cap actually compressed the stem spacers and headset all tight. Now if that order would just come in with the spacers! (Damn u Cannondale and your odd 1.5" sizing…LOL)

I have 3 spaces below the stem and 2 above. There is lots of room for adjustment. So no need to worry about it.

After doing research I saw that without the spacers it can actually damage the bearings in the headset though!

"Jer-Z" wrote

After doing research I saw that without the spacers it can actually damage the bearings in the headset though!

What? I don’t think that’s accurate. There’s a possibility of damaging a steerer tube without a spacer on top of the stem if you over torque the stem, but I’ve never heard of bearing issues.

Viewing 5 reply threads